Chapter 32

Chapter 32

After I let Zainab into the house, I silently took her to my room without Kaka knowing. I left her to settle on the bed while I went to the kitchen to get water for her.

As I returned, I found her sitting on the floor instead of the bed. She rested her back against the wall and stared into space with her mind far away. Something bad must have really happened.

I didn't say anything but went straight to my drawer to get out my extra wrapper to keep her warm. Then I slowly stepped to her side and sat down beside her on the floor before stretching out the water and wrapper to her. She didn't notice I was there until I snapped my fingers to her face.

"Oh." She looked at me in surprise and looked at the items, "Sorry."

She collected the items from me and thanked me before putting the wrapper around her body and taking down the water. I stared at her sad face, wondering what happened that made her run all the way here by this time of the night. And there was only one thing on my mind.

"Did something happen to Faisal? Or Halimat?" I asked suspiciously, hoping the children killer didn't find a way to their house.

She put down the cup and shook her head. I nodded and sighed in relief. She was now staring down at the cup and soon I saw a little tears coming down from her eyes before she quickly wiped them away.

These past few years I've known Zainab, she barely cried. She was a very strong and tough person and nothing ever got to her chest. I can only remember two occasions when she cried and that was when; 1. She lost her step-younger brother back home, and 2. when Baba Halimat almost raped her, leading to his separation with mama Halimat.

"Miriam," She finally spoke while glaring at the ground, "He tried to do it again."

I rose my brows, "Baba Halimat?"

"He tried to do it again," She repeated in disbelief, "and that foolish woman believed him."

"Baba Halimat? I thought he was in Zaria? How come he's back?" I asked in confusion, "Tell me him and mama Halimat are not back together."

"They are. He came back two months ago." She said in disgust. I was going to argue why she didn't tell me, then I am reminded that I haven't spoken to Zainab since Christmas.

I shut my eyes, knowing how much I hated that man. Sometime last year, Baba Halimat had been making advances to Zainab whenever she was alone in the house but she rejected him. She was afraid to tell mama Halimat about it because she felt that either she would not believe her or it would break her marriage. Until one day, Zainab had a very bad fever and couldn't go to school. Baba Halimat did not go to work and used that opportunity to finally get what he wanted but before he could get any further, mama Halimat caught them and this led to their separation. Baba Halimat tried to lie about it but mama Halimat refused to believe since she heard screaming.

"She knows he's lying." Zainab added, talking about mama Halimat, "She's just afraid to lose him again. Wawa mara kyau."

Despite I didn't understand her last sentence, I could tell she was insulting mama Halimat. But that didn't stop her from talking.

"The neighbors heard her shouting. And I know she will start telling everybody that I was trying to seduce her husband."

"Maybe you should try explai-"