POKEMON: Imperium by @Revanyx

Written by Revanyx 
Recommended by ikuyakirishima-

When I started reading this fanfiction, the first thing that came to mind was the Pokémon version of a combination of the city to urban shift that happened in London in the 18th century, the 'Great Terror' imposed by Robespierre in the radical phase of the French Revolution, and a little bit of Napoleon's reign after the French Revolution—but more malignant.

Great, I thought to myself. I'm in.

I don't regret a thing.

Revanyx does a wonderful job setting the scene. I was entranced from the very beginning by Fleeter's escape through the dark and rainy streets of Lumiose, and I enjoyed reading about Lawrence, Hestia, and Fleeter's trip through Santalune Forest. Although some of the scenes were labeled as 'disturbing,' I found them very fitting and almost necessary for the flow of the story.

I found all of the characters presented in the book unique in their own right (appearance-wise and personality wise); though I must say, Alluvia and Navalski are my favorites. There are enough comical parts included within the chapters to offset the rather grim tone of the novel, though there is an ominous undertone throughout the story. Interestingly, I did not find Fleeter's amnesia to be a hindrance in the novel, which is something I can't say for many of the other fanfictions I've read with an amnesiac main character. His condition has a place in the storyline, so it fits very well.  

I should add that the author drew parts of the cover, something that I can respect as an artist myself. The designs of the hybrid Pokémon are fascinating!

The plot of the story is very intriguing too. I've always been into genetic engineering and biotechnology, so the concept of Pokémon experimenting on others of their kind drew me in. I kind of like the fact that humans have no place in this.

There are a few grammar and spelling errors scattered throughout the chapters, but none were big enough to hinder my reading (of course, nobody has perfect grammar). Overall, it was a wonderful read with a unique storyline, and I highly recommend giving this fanfiction a try!

__________________
[D E T A I L S]

SUMMARY

"Absolute Authority, Monarchy.

Generations passed, yet Kalos still remains under the Steel Emperor's rule. A ruling where corruption, crime, and black markets happen in broad daylight. A ruling where justice is never metted out.

Fleeter is an amnesiac Pokémon. But despite that, he knew first-hand the horrors wrought by the Emperor's monarchy. As one of the experimental specimens used by the Empire for inhumane research, how could he not?

When an opportunity to escape arises, Fleeter takes the chance. But outside, he finds himself in a society filled with injustice and blood. It was as bad as it was inside the labs... But even so, Fleeter had one goal: To save his friend from the Empire's clutches. Luckily, a group of assassins were present to help him out. However, they faced him with a question:

'Do you understand what it means to kill?'" 

GENRE
Action/Adventure

MATURE RATING
N/A

STATUS
Ongoing

LENGTH
Five chapters

READS
203

VOTES
22

UPDATE SCHEDULE
Slow

Link
https://www.wattpad.com/story/98365003-pokemon-imperium-a-fan-novel-on-hiatus

{Posted: 5/28/2018}