The Dhampyre

Point of View: Mika Sasaki

"I know what you are."

His words rung through me, making my heart sink sickly into the pit of my stomach. But I wasn't going to let him frighten me anymore. I mean, who does he think he is getting so close to me? Scaring me? Our eyes met, and finally I could move my body. I stood, forcing the vampire to retreat. I fled from the chair, a reason to inspect the room and avoid this vampire. I couldn't escape just yet, they would catch me for sure.

I found a picture frame standing along one of the end tables, recognizing the chairman in the photo as he posed happily with a brown haired girl and a boy with deep, lavender eyes. His children, maybe? I couldn't help but smile and wonder what it was like to have a family.

"You know what I am. So, what do you plan on doing with me now?"

The Chairman began to wave his hands frantically, looking at the both of us.

"Sasaki, please relax. We certainly aren't going to hold you captive."

"So I may go? I can just leave?"

I watched the Chairman give Kaname a defeated look.

"Y-yes, but why the rush?"

"No offense, Chairman, but I can't stay here for too long. The Council will find out, if they don't already know, and the last thing I want to do is put a school in danger. I must leave."

I started to walk towards the doors, but the Chairman quickly spoke up.

"I want to protect you, Sasaki."

I paused, my back to the both of them.

"If you leave, I can almost promise you they will hunt you down again. Stay here, I have ties to the Council, I can keep you safe."

I spun around.

"Ties? You work for them and you want me to trust you? How could you endanger your school like that?"

I argued, I felt like I was being tricked.

"I know all of this is rather confusing, but I swear, I only want to help. My children that you seen in that photo you were looking at, well they aren't really my children. Both were in situations similar to yours, Sasaki, and I helped. You can ask them yourself. Zero was there when we rescued you."

"Zero..?"

I whispered.

"I never worked for the Council, but I was once the President of the Vampire Hunter Association. For peace reasons, I've come to multiple agreements in the past with the Head of the Vampire council, which explains my "ties" with them. As far as "endangering" the school, that's nothing you have to worry about. My school is off limits, as part of one of our agreements."

His explanations made sense and if I did leave, the chances I would be captured or just killed were high. I didn't have a choice, I couldn't leave, just yet. But why? Why go out of his way to help someone when it could cost him everything?

"Tell me why. Why go to such great lengths to help me, a stranger? I have nothing to offer, nothing but problems!"

Tears formed at the corners of my eyes, desperate to understand. The Chairman simply smiled.