Chapter Five

playlist for this book in the external link. click it :3

Chapter Five

I immediately regret coming as soon as I took in the scene in front of me. Almost everyone was in a paralyzed like state. They looked at me with shock… And pity. I lifted my hand to brush my bangs back, I had forgotten to put on the clip I took out, when I came in contact with my cheeks, I realized that it was slightly wet.

“Sumi… Are you really okay?” Susan said slowly, the boy with the glasses cut in, apologizing profusely.

“Oh god, I’m really sorry, I shouldn’t have asked, I didn’t think this would happen, I’m just, I’m so sorry…” He looked like he wanted to comfort me but didn’t know how; I let out a strained smile as I wheeled myself back into my spot, and gestured for him to go up and continue.

The rest of the meeting went by with a blur; it was made clear that what happened with me won’t ever be mentioned, and I respected that. By the time everyone finished introducing themselves, the meeting was finished. The goodbyes weren’t really goodbyes, rather it was see you laters.

That night I cried myself to sleep. It just took me saying it out loud for me to realize that death is going to come. And I’m going to be alone.

~

I woke up to quite whispering from behind the curtain, the shadows seemed to have realized that I was awake as the curtains opened and revealed my old classmates. I tensed immediately; it’s been two years since I last saw them. What were they doing here?

“Sumi… Surprise?”

“What do you guys want?” It came out harsher than I intended but it doesn’t matter anymore does it?

“Our teacher announced that from today on, you won’t ever return to school. So we thought we’d come and ask if everything was alright.”

“Haha, of course! Why wouldn’t it be? I am in a top notch condition and feeling better than ever. That must be why I’ve been in the hospital for three years and can’t ever leave!” I know that I shouldn’t have said it so sarcastically, but my anger and disdain for those people I use to call friends was so great it just slipped out.

“We… We’re sorry.”

“That’s all you guys have to say? You don’t come and visit me for two years then as soon as you find out I’m dying, you come running in like you actually care.” This resulted in a loud gasp from everyone in the room.

“You’re… Dying?”

“Haha, yep. In three weeks’ time, isn’t it just wonderful? I can finally escape this hellhole I call life.” Their reply was cut short by a nurse entering for a morning checkup; I was disappointed that it wasn’t Sabrina.

“Sorry guys, but I’m going to need Sumi for a few moments, would you guys mind waiting outside for just a moment?” The nurse said apologetically. You don’t have to apologize. They are probably thinking how much of a relief it is that they don’t have to talk to the dying girl anymore.

The nurse wanted to check on the condition of my legs, so she had moved me from the bed to the wheelchair, scribbling speedily on her notebook. When she began to help me back on the bed, I stopped her.

“Could I stay on for a few more moments? It feels nice to be able to move around.” The nurse nodded and continued the checkup.

“It’s actually quite good that you’re on the chair, could you move around a bit? Yourself. So I could check your arms.” I wheeled myself past the curtains and towards the door, where there is the most space. The nurse stopped me just as I was about to turn around to wheel back.

“Do you feel any tiredness from that? Was that something you could do regularly for the whole day without feeling tired?” Rather than focusing on the nurse, I was paying closer attention to the whispering happening outside the door.

“I can’t believe it! I didn’t think her condition was that serious!”

“I wish I had known sooner, I would have come and visited her more…”

I laughed internally; you start being nice to me as soon as you realized I was dying. How fake.

“Ha! Doesn’t matter to me, she’s probably better off dead anyway. Why did you guys even drag me here? It’s just a waste of time. Sumi’s gonna die. Boohoo big deal. I bet she’s just lying for the attention.”

I stopped laughing. 

~*~

this is pure bullshit. i don't even know what i wrote. but apparently no matter how off i am. i'm technically still on track~ surprise surprise. anyway. i hope this isn't bad. because i really didn't like it ._. 

votes and comments make maggie's day <3 

x