It's More Than A Crush

Start from the beginning

I went and gave my mom a kiss and then to my dad, I told them both happy anniversary while sitting down at my usual sport. Like always my dad put down the paper and smiled at me I didn’t even look up at him to notice and beat him to the punch by saying that stupid nineteen word phrase.

”It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart. I told him finally looking up at him. The way he smiled is something I’ll never forget. His whole facial expression had softened. It was a smile I had never seen on him, but it was sincere, he even looked, proud.

It was his favorite quote; there wasn’t a single day he wouldn’t tell me this, usually it was one of the first things he would tell me. Even away on business trips he would either call me in the morning or text me it. I never really understood why he would tell me this constantly. I remember him telling me that his mom had told him this all the time, maybe he felt close to her when he would say it since she passed when he was twelve.

I looked down at my parents and shook my head, hate instantly filled my body. I couldn’t believe it; two teens killed my parents, two fucking teens who were trying to impress everyone! How could they be so stupid did they not think about what could happen by drinking and driving! Did they not think about getting into an accident and killing innocent people! I clenched my fists tightly and looked down at both my parents, “I will never forget who did this to you guys! I will despise them and anyone else like them! I hate all of them for doing this to you guys! I promise you that. I will never, ever forget the type of people who did this to you! I’m so sorry I was one of them.” I grabbed both of their lifeless hands that still felt a bit warm. I will never, ever be the same.

When I got back from the hospital I sat on my couch processing everything that had happened. When I was walking out of the room my parents where in a nurse came up to me with a small bag and told me it was what my parents had on them. I opened the bad when she left and looked through it. It was then when I saw it, there wedding rings. I pulled both of them out analyzing every single little feature they had. I’m not sure how long I sat there and I came back to reality when the front door opened. I snapped my head quickly to see who it was thinking it was my parents, hoping that just maybe this was all just a dream and I had imagined all this. I quickly realized it was real since instead of my parents walking in through the door, it was my sister Caroline and her husband.

Caroline was twenty eight years old she moved out to New York for school when she was eighteen where she meet her husband. I only saw Caroline in holidays and sometimes they would come out to visit us out of nowhere but that was rare. I hadn’t even thought about Caroline or calling her telling her what had happened, but by the way she pulled me into an awkward hug I could tell that she was already informed of all that was going on and this was not one of her surprise visits.

The gray clouds above us finally opened up and let out the rain everyone in California was begging for since it hadn’t rained in four weeks. It poured down over our heads as we were staying our final goodbyes to them dropping white roses over the coffins as they were being lowered into the ground. White roses where my mother’s favorite type of flower, she use to tell me a story about them when I was little, it had been my favorite story. All I can remember now is if you received a white rose it meant trouble is soon to be gone, it brought peace.

After the funeral I got in the back of Caroline’s car with my things in the trunk. Even though I was already eighteen in my parents will it clearly stated that if they left this world before I got my associates or before I turned twenty two I was to stay with my sister till I had at least received it or else I was not going to get the money they had stored for me. I could finally move out when I received it but I was still not eligible to receive my inheritance till I got my bachelors.