Chapter 5

One week into operation "Befriend Hanna Marin", Mona is tired, frustrated, and ready to give up. She has been working with Emily and Hanna on their Biology Project for days, now, and even though they're finally starting to see eye-to-eye, Mona just doesn't know how she can get past Alison long enough to move in on Hanna.  

At the end of the week, though, she finally gets her chance when she runs into Hanna and Mrs. Marin at the mall. Hanna looks beyond upset, and her mom doesn't look any happier, but Mona can tell that her mom is trying her hardest to cheer Hanna up.  

Mona hides behind a trash can in the food court as she watches Hanna and her mom, waiting for a moment to get Hanna alone. Soon, Hanna gets up to use the restroom, and Mona moves out from behind the trash can to find a seat by Mrs. Marin. She sits down two tables away, pretending to check her phone as Hanna returns from the restroom. The blonde's reflection is crystal clear on the screen of her phone as she suddenly stops behind Mona, a surprised, but morose, look on her face.  

"Mona?.Hanna says to her, her voice small.  

She turns around, and smiles at the girl. "Hi, Hanna..

The blonde shifts uncomfortably, and averts her eyes to the floor. "You're here all by yourself?.

Mona just shrugs. "I'm used to it..

Hanna nods, and glances up at her mom a couple of tables away, who is now talking animatedly to someone on the phone. "Doesn't it get boring coming to the mall alone?.

"No,.she says. "There are hundreds of other people here all the time..She narrows her eyes. "What about you? You're not with Ali today?.

"I'm with my mom..Hanna turns back to Mona. "I didn't want to come today, but she insisted on bringing me..

Mona frowns. "Are you okay?.

She bites her lip, seemingly thinking about whether or not she should be talking to Mona. Finally, she sighs, and takes a seat across from her. "My dad left my mom recently,.she murmurs. "It's been really hard, but my mom thought that taking me shopping would make me feel better.. But look at me. No matter how expensive my clothes are, I'm still going to be an ugly, fat nobody..

Mona automatically feels sorry for the girl. She wishes she could help somehow, but she reminds herself to just take things one step at a time. "You're not ugly. Just because you're not a twig like Alison, it doesn't mean you can't be attractive. Besides, you're a lot nicer, and as far as I'm concerned, personality will get you much further in life than looks..

"She's not that bad once you get to know her,.Hanna insists. "She's there for me when it counts..

It's easy for Mona to tell that she's lying. If Alison were really as good as Hanna says she is, then she would be there right now, comforting Hanna, instead of Mona being the one to talk to her. But Mona can't help but feel special. She understands Hanna, because she's felt just as lost and lonely as Hanna is feeling right now, and she distinctly remembers it being the worst feeling in the world. "I'm sorry about your dad. It must really suck..

Hanna gives her a small smile. "Thanks, Mona..She starts to stand. "I should probably go, though. I'll see you in school on Monday..

Mona watches her walk back to her mom, and just as they are about to leave the food court, Hanna turns to Mona, and nods at her in appreciation. Mona smiles in return, the feeling of success beginning to well up inside of her. -A would be very happy to hear that Mona is making progress. She pulls out her phone, and texts something to -A: "I think I just found my in with Hanna.'

-A responds quickly, but her answer surprises Mona. "I need you to get here as fast as you can. Lucas is already here.'

When she arrives at the Lost Woods Resort, Lucas is waiting outside -A's door, leaning comfortably against the wall. Mona still can't get over the fact that he's now a part of the A-Team.

"There you are,.he says to Mona as she approaches him.

She waves. "Where's -A?.

He just opens the door, and gestures for her to follow him. The room is empty, and -A is nowhere to be seen. Mona follows Lucas to the tiny kitchen, and she watches him for a moment before asking him what's going on.

"Was she even the one who texted me, or was that you?.she says.  

Lucas crosses his arms. "No, that was -A. She's making her next move on Alison. She left us instructions."