Chapter 2

The Lost Woods Resort is empty and dark. Mona shivers as she walks up to the motel, and carefully pushes her way through the front entrance. There is no one at the check-in desk, so she pulls out her phone, and glances down at her most recent text from -A:

"Want to know who I am? Come to The Lost Woods Resort at ten o'clock tonight, and go to Room 2. Don't knock. Slide a $10 under the door so I know it's you. If you don't show up, a few tiny scars will be the least of your worries! Tick-tock, Mona!'

Mona walks past the front desk, and starts down the eerie, dimly lit hallway. She stops at the exit in the back, and takes a deep breath as she steps back outside. Two doors down from the exit is Room 2; Mona feels lightheaded as she approaches the door, but she tells herself that she doesn't have a choice. She pulls the crumpled-up bill out of her pocket, stuffs it under the door, and waits. It feels like forever before someone finally answers.

"Ah, it's you,.a female voice says, her face hidden in the shadows. She opens the door, and motions for Mona to follow her inside. Mona recognizes her voice, but she can't place her finger on who the voice belongs to.

When she steps inside, she is surprised to see that the room is neatly organized, and very bright. She supposes that if this -A has a torture chamber, it is hidden somewhere deep within the woods surrounding the motel. She turns around to face the girl, and gasps when she realizes who it is. She opens her mouth to call her name, but the girl cuts her off, and holds up a hand to silence her.

"My name is -A to you,.she just tells her. "Outside of this motel, and outside of my notes, you will pretend I don't exist.”

Mona gives her an intrigued look. "And if I don't comply?”

-A takes Mona roughly by the arm, and shoves her sleeve up to her shoulder. She smirks as Mona winces in pain, an incredulous look on her face as -A presses her thumb into Mona's most recent, self-inflicted wound. "I can do much more than make you squirm,.the girl threatens.

When she lets go of Mona's arm, Mona quickly pulls her sleeve back over her wound, and reminds herself that this -A is much more dangerous than Mona had ever intended to be toward Alison. "How did you know?"

"I know everything, dear,.-A murmurs. She turns away from Mona, and walks over to the table in the center of the room. She pulls out a chair, and taps her fingers against the back frame. "Come, sit."

Mona furrows her eyebrows. "What are you going to do to me?"

The girl laughs, but her laugh is much darker and fuller than the sweet giggles Mona was used to hearing around the hallways of Rosewood High. "Come here, Mona. I need to know if I can trust you."

Deciding again that she didn't have any other choice, Mona gives the girl a quick nod, and starts toward her. As she sits down in the chair, she tries to imagine her new life as -A's accomplice, a role that would prove to be much more complicated than Mona had ever dreamed.

"I have one question if it's okay to ask..Mona says.

-A says, "Fine. But, only one. Just hurry up with it, you're taking up too much of my time already and I am a very busy person, you know."

Mona takes a deep breath. She re-thinks the question in her head one more time to make sure it's the right one she wants to ask. She takes another deep breath and finally asks, "I thought you were Alison's friend, along with the others. So, why would you become a person who tortures her? Is the friend thing just an act or something?.her heart pounds really fast while asking that question, and she pulls her sleeves over her hands.

-A just looks at her and laughs. "Oh Mona, you're such a newbie to this. Don't worry, you'll catch on soon enough, and by the way, it's none of your business why I am doing this. The only thing you need to know is how to be a part of my A-Team without getting caught. Be here 6 AM tomorrow and don't be late. Your lessons will officially begin, and if you're a no show, your secrets get out..On that last note, -A just walks out without even saying goodbye or turning back.

Mona quietly says to herself "Goodbye. But, what happens if I'm late.?'