"I was born that way," Mr. August said with a smile.

Looking at his warm, chocolate-colored eyes, I felt encouraged to ask further questions. "But... how? I mean, you seem to be somehow... more. Are you sure they haven't done anything to you?"

"You do know how this works, don't you, Azora? The goal is to make other races look humanlike, not the other way around. Besides, how am I different than other human beings?" he asked, placing both hands on his hips.

"I don't know. It's not how you look on the outside. Maybe... maybe they've changed you on the inside." I was still looking for an explanation.

"And how would they do that?" Mr. August was easily one of the most forbearing persons I had ever met. He should lend some of his patience to Professor Fortius. That man could certainly use it.

I did not share my thoughts with him, though. Instead, I shared my hypothesis. "They can make changes through genetic engineering, perhaps. You know, when they take genes of someone and then insert them into genes of someone else."

My explanation was world class! I knew something about the whole process, but my knowledge was tragically superficial.

"That is not possible. At least not when it comes to combining human genes and genes of the hidden races. There are unwritten laws about the subject."

"And no one has ever even tried something like that?" The fact that I hadn't known a lot about the matter, didn't mean I shouldn't at least try to find out more.

"Not to my knowledge," Mr. August said. He crossed the office, nearing the door.

"Do you think they ever will?" I asked another question, promising myself that it would be the last one.

"I do not know," he replied. He opened the door, cueing me to leave.

Slowly, I walked up to the opened door. "I think they will," I said before walking out.

° ° ° ° ° ° °

The three weeks that followed brought normality to my life. The main reason for that was the fact that Mathias kept his distance. "Don't come near me," he said to me the day after our conversation at Mr. August's office, and I took his advice. I did see him occasionally, but he would avert his eyes. I did the same. Peripheral vision was all we used to look at each other.

But then, Friday happened.

I saw Mathias right after Chemistry as I was rushing to get to my next class. I had to hurry because I forgot to bring a textbook, so I went back to my room to get it.

I was running down the hall when I noticed Ms. Cyan walking in my direction. I knew I wasn't her favorite student, so I moved to the side. Bumping into her surely wouldn't change her attitude towards me for the better.

As I passed her by, I felt the need to apologize for my haste. I looked over my shoulder and shouted, "I know I shouldn't be running, but I'm really, really late!"

When I turned my head, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped. Mathias was right in front of me and I was on a collision course.

I slammed into him. Immediately I moved several steps away. "I'm so sorry," I uttered.

He just stood there in front of me. The dark colour of his clothes depicted his mood perfectly. His breathing was irregular, and his stare affixed to something in the distance. I dared to cast nothing but a quick glance over my shoulder. No one was there. Ms. Cyan already turned around the corner, unaware of my predicament.

I looked at Mathias again. "I'm sorry," I repeated.

He turned his attention to me. There was an unnatural glow in his eyes that seemed redder than they should be. Full Moon. Last night was full Moon.

"Make sure you don't come near me again." His voice was as dark as his clothes.

Then he turned and walked away, leaving me alone in the hallway with the sound of my beating heart.

It took some time to pull myself together. As a result of that, I was late for my class. Professor Garnet already started his lecture and Opal was soaking up every word. I don't even know if she realized I was late. She loved Geography for two reasons. Number one – Professor Garnet was a dwarf. Number two – he shared her love for gemstones, gold and other precious metals.

As it turned out, my distress did not go unnoticed. Nia handed me a folded piece of paper. As I unfolded it, I noticed a name with a question mark written on it: Mathias?

I nodded, and Nia asked no further questions. It took a bell marking the end of the class for Opal to snap out of her temporary trance called Geography.

On our way to lunch, Nia just said, "You'll tell me all about it, won't you?"

"Tell her all about what?" Opal intercepted my answer. "What do you have to tell her, Azora? And why would you tell her and not me? And if you were going to tell me, why would you tell her first?"

"I'll tell you both while we eat, okay? Just find a secluded table," I whispered, trying to put a stop on Opal's rambling before it would attract unwanted attention.

I was walking and talking at the same time, not noticing the person coming out of the dining room.

"I thought I told you to stay away from me," he said quietly, yet I felt prickles like the time a sea urchin rolled down the surface of my bare skin.

"I'm sorry. I was just..."

"...making a mistake," Mathias finished my sentence. "And that might be costly," he added before rushing out.

Chapter 10, and you're still reading! Thank you so much!

Special thanks to those who left wonderful comments and to those who voted for my story, encouraging me to keep writing.

Stay tuned if you want to find out more about Azora.

If you like this chapter, do me a favor - leave your comments and also, vote.
💙