2018/05/25 - Your guardian angel has gotten into trouble...

...What do you do to save them?

*

I had one single task.

Sure, this task involved a lot of other troublesome things. I somehow felt like a spy in those old movies as I disguised myself as a human and got close to my target. Of course I wasn't allowed to be discovered and I had to fulfil my duty unnoticed, which made it all the harder to achieve my goal. But so far it had been a pretty neat job, standing guard, making sure nothing bad happened. The target didn't suspect anything and I managed to become a 'friend', which meant I could approach my target a lot easier as we met up almost every day.

And over time my target has become quite dear to me as we got to know each other a little. Maybe a little too dear... oh, boy! What do I do?

One of the rules is not to get involved too deeply with the target, no matter what that might be. And now I'm up shit's creek without a paddle. I can't stop thinking about my charge, I can't wait to meet up during the day, and I pound the beat around the house at night. I pine for the smallest gestures of affection, a simple smile could make my day.

I am so doomed!

How am I supposed to act professionally now?

How am I supposed to act as a 'friend' anyhow?

I have no idea.

Yet here we are this evening, sitting together on the couch watching some movie as per usual, and I try to not turn a hair as I sip on my drink and eat some pizza. Then suddenly the more or less comfortable silence is broken: "You know...we always hang out together and such..."

I turn my gaze from the TV to view my target and suddenly my heart speeds up as I listen. "Of course we're friends. But I think there's more to it...you're always around and help me out when I'm in trouble. I feel just about bulletproof in your presence. And I've noticed your secret glances."

I swallow dryly. Am I being found out here? My heart sinks as fear courses through me. I might need to wipe my charge's memory and resign so one of my colleagues can take over. I don't want that! I want to stay by my target's side forever and cherish our 'friendship'!

But then I receive the gentlest of smiles, laced with a pinch of nervousness. "So...here goes nothing." And I'm proper surprised when suddenly soft lips are pressed to mine in a short and chaste kiss. For a good while I stare, totally flabbergasted, until my charge grows visibly uncomfortable and mumbles: "I guess I was wrong about your feelings for me. I'm sorry. Just forget that ever happened, okay?"

I shake my head getting a grip and smile. "No...you are not wrong. I was just surprised is all." My heart is thrumming happily in my chest as I lean forward for another kiss. And suddenly, suddenly all my trouble seems to have vanished into thin air...