2017/03/23 - flowers (triple drabble)

Recently I moved into a nice little town. My house was situated between an old half-timber house and an industrialized building.

The neighbours to the right were an elderly couple, whereas to the left there lived five young housemates. As I gradually settled in and set about to tend to the garden, I noticed the flowers my neighbours had planted. The half-timber house was surrounded by neat patches of hurtsickles while my neighbours to the left had potted carnations everywhere.

And I began to wonder what my garden should look like.

I couldn't quite decide yet so I postponed it.

Over the following weeks I chatted with both my new neighbours, mostly about the weather and the lovely gardens, but also a few serious conversations came up. I soon learnt that my neighbours didn't quite like each other's views. Yet I didn't want to be caught up in their issues, so I stayed friendly and polite to each of them.

As I listened to his stories the elderly man gifted me a bag of hurtsickle seeds, whereas after a long jaw with the youngsters I received a pot of carnations.

But which flowers should I put in my garden? I knew I would upset either of them if I planted the gift of the other party. Then my garden would become the battleground of their argument.

And while I didn't agree with either of their views, I came to a conclusion: I went to the garden centre and bought a bunch of flowers and little trees. And soon the garden in the middle was overgrown with anemones, white lillies, daffodils, cherries and zinnias. Because if I had to choose between both gifts, I would plant neither. True peace inhabited my house, for I realised I am right where I belong.