Episode 40: The Reveal

Kurama broke the silence, "How could that be? The Makaichu insects are only indicative of the first phase of a portal opening."

"We believe there's some sort of barrier containing it. If for nothing else than to prevent us from detecting it until it is too late," Botan explained.

Everyone's eyes darted to Ayame, who was studying the floor, her teeth set on edge.

"I don't suppose you know anything about that, eh?" said Yusuke.

Ayame scowled at Yusuke with a murderous look, but said nothing.

Hiei cracked his knuckles, "Apparently if she says anything, or cooperates with us in any way, they are threatening to kill her brother."

"And I'll bet you know quite a bit, given you seemed pretty familiar with the little fellow who did this to me," said Scarlett. Her voice wasn't cruel, if anything, she sounded sympathetic. Ayame could not meet her gaze, "But it remains that there are two possibilities we must face: first, that they know you have been compromised, and your brother is already dead. Second, that they need him for something, and were bluffing to silence you and ensure your cooperation. I sincerely hope it's the latter, but either way, you've served your usefulness to them. If a hole to Makai is truly about to open up, a lot more people than your brother are going to die."

Ayame hung her head, but her shoulders began to shake, as if she were fighting back tears.

"Talking to her won't work," said Hiei, flexing his right hand, "but I have ways of making her talk."

Rieka gently grasped Hiei by the forearm and shook her head. Hiei looked a little deflated just then, and crossed his arms, then leaned against the wall and said nothing further. Ayame mumbled something, and while no one else heard, it was enough to make Gadget stop struggling and look up at her.

"What? Couldn't catch that," said Yusuke.

"Yokai don't eat hybrids," Ayame said, a little louder, "I knew about the hole, Gadget didn't know anything. She's still too young. But they told us yokai don't like to eat hybrids. That's why they bred us. To replace the humans after they're gone. Was that a lie, too?"

Hiei stood a little more upright, "Well, it's true yokai don't like to eat hybrids, but I can't say what would happen if one got really desperate."

Yusuke scratched his chin, "Yeah, well, my old man tried to eat me right before he died."

"Really?" said Rieka, shocked.

Yusuke shrugged, as if this were a casual fact, "He died of starvation. He was mad with hunger when he tried it. But I could bet if I were fully human he might have broke then and done it."

Kurama knit his brows together, "While not all yokai eat human flesh, there are some that can subsist on nothing else. It would take quite some time, but I imagine they would die once the stupider yokai hunt the humans to extinction. Though hybrid flesh is abhorrent to them. It would be like--I don't know how to compare it--eating shoe leather or something, I suppose. Technically edible, but seen as disgusting and lacking certain nutritional value."

"How flattering," Hiro deadpanned, "I've always pictured myself as highly nutritious."

A bell sounded then, and Hiro and Rieka's heads whipped around to see what it was.

"Don't tell me," Scarlett groaned.

"What is it?" asked Rieka's.

"It's a warning gong," said Kurama, "The next match is starting in about 15 minutes, and I believe your team is up."