Epsiode 20: The Hunter and the Egg

As the dawn light filtered into the room, Rieka realized that she had never actually grown tired. Hiei had been an excellent partner at cards. He learned quickly, and was able to best her at some of her favorite games, though she held her own in turn. She adjusted her legs as she sat, and heard the skirt of her dress tear a little more.

She blushed and grabbed at the hem, "I forgot that I was still wearing this thing. I need to at least change into something new. Should we call it quits for now?"

"Backing out because you know I have the upper hand?"

Rieka rolled her eyes, "It's already morning. We can say you've won this round, but I won't go easy on you in a rematch!" She slung her duffle bag over her shoulder and began to walk out, but paused when the door leading outside slid open. The sound was enough to jar Hiro awake.

"Wha? I was just resting my eyes," said Hiro groggily.

Koenma stood at the door, looking dashing as ever in his adult form (or at least, he would have been dashing without the pacifier). He was accompanied by Botan and two faces Rieka was stunned to recognize.

"Ayame! Gadget!"

They already looked much better than the last time Rieka saw them. While still too thin, Ayame had color to her face and her hair was clean and shining. Gadget was wearing new clothes, but still had a knit cap worn low over her ears. But, she did manage to venture a smile, and ran over to Rieka, throwing her arms around her waist. Once she released her, Gadget began signing excitedly.

"She remembers you from before," Ayame translated, "She's thanking you for releasing us. Botan has been treating us very well."

Botan smiled, "Oh, I've only done what anyone else would have."

"Botan has been kinder than she would ever admit," Koenma said, "Is Genkai around?"

Rieka paled, "Oh, I thought you were here because you had heard."

Koenma and Botan exchanged puzzled looks, "Heard what?"

"Genkai is here, but she's very ill. She may still be asleep," Rieka explained.

The pacifier nearly fell out of Koenma's mouth and Botan's eyes widened. Koenma looked as if he would speak first, but another unfamiliar voice interrupted him.

 Koenma looked as if he would speak first, but another unfamiliar voice interrupted him

"I smell a fox." A woman with long blonde hair which flew away in wild curls popped her head into the room. As she stepped inside, Rieka realized she was very tall. Nearly six feet. Rieka could see her sharp, angular features that gave away that she wasn't a native Japanese. She wore a sleeveless black shirt, and Rieka saw gun belts criss-crossing her curvy waist.

Her nose twitched as she entered the room. There was something about her that was so off, that everyone was stunned into silence.

"I should explain," said Koenma, "This is--"

"Aha! I knew I smelled a fox," the girl pulled something behind the door of the neighboring room. She revealed Kurama, who was looking flustered as she held him by the ear."

"Scarlett," Kurama said uncomfortably.

"How long you been spying there, kitsune?" The woman, presumably Scarlett, asked. Rieka realized she had a thick American accent.

"You two know each other?" Rieka asked before Kurama could answer.

Kurama wrenched himself from her grasp, and entered the room, crossing his arms, "Intimately. This is Scarlett Curtis. She's the Hunter who sent me to the human realm to begin with."

Scarlett snapped her fingers, "Oh! I thought you looked familiar."

Kurama furrowed his brow, "Don't pretend you don't remember..."

It was Koenma's turn to interrupt, "This was not how I intended to make introductions..."

Botan smiled nervously, "Rieka, were you about to go to the baths?"

Rieka realized she was still holding her duffle bag, and that her clothes were still in tatters, "Um, yeah, I suppose I was."

Botan gently nudged Ayame and Gadget, "Let's all go, shall we? It'll be nice for the girls after such a long trip."

"Oh, is there a hot spring here?" Scarlett said excitedly, but Koenma grabbed her by the collar.

"Not you..." Koenma said bitterly.

There was in fact a small bath house and hot spring on the grounds. There was no running water at the temple, so after scrubbing off in a cold stream, the warmth of the water was quite welcome.

Gadget was a little suspicious of the water at first, but settled in after she saw the others do so. She had to take off her knit cap, and Rieka saw that one side had been shaved, and a long, thick, surgical scar ran across her skull. Rieka made a mental note of it, but tried not to stare. No wonder she always wore the cap.

"So, Botan," said Rieka, "You going to tell me who that weird chick was, or what?"

Botan laughed uncomfortably, "Well, we knew you needed a master in sacred energy, and she's the most qualified."

Rieka's eyes narrowed, "Only one you guys could find, huh?"

Botan hung her head, "It's a very rare trait. But I assure you she's very capable." She perked up suddenly, and ran her hands through her bag which was sitting just outside of the spring, "I almost forgot, there's something I need to give you," she produced a golden egg about the size of a duck's egg from her bag, "Ta da!"

Rieka's eyes widened as she accepted the egg, "Is this what I think it is?"

Botan nodded vigorously, "Yup! That's a spirit beast's egg!"

Rieka gently cradled the egg in her hands, "Really? I can have it? I'll have a spirit beast like Puu?" She was glowing with excitement, but something about this felt too good to be true, and she felt herself frowning, "But why are you giving this to me? I thought this was supposed to be part of a trial."

Botan looked sheepish, "It is. Scarlett has strong convictions, and well...the footage of what happened at that facility doesn't make you look good. She wanted to make sure you weren't evil."

"What do you mean?"

"The egg feeds off your thoughts and intentions. Positive thoughts and intentions will give you a spirit beast like Puu, but if a person fills it with negative energy, the beast will turn on it's master and devour them." In response to Rieka's blank face, Botan hastily added, "But Koenma and I know you're a good person! We have faith that you'll create something wonderful!"

The egg slipped between Rieka's fingers and took a short bath in the spring water before Ayame quickly scooped it up. Rieka felt her stomach turn as Ayame handed it back to her. 30 seconds in and I'm already a terrible parent.

"Gadget and I believe in you too," said Ayame, "A bad person wouldn't have freed us. And if you were a bad person, Gadget wouldn't like you so much."

Gadget nodded enthusiastically and scooted a little closer to Rieka to demonstrate her point further.

Rieka regarded the egg thoughtfully. I suppose if this thing inside me does take over, it would be better for everyone if this thing devoured me before I could hurt anyone else. "Yeah," she said with a forced smile, "You guys are right, I'll fill this thing with positive energy."

———————————————————————-
Thanks for reading! Please vote or comment if you enjoyed it!