Episode 25: Train to the Tournament

"If this is supposed to be some big, undercover tournament, then tell me," Hiro asked, "Why are we at the train station?"

It was true, Rieka thought as she clutched her duffel bag close to her chest, they looked more like they were going on a vacation together than entering an underground slave-trading ring, "Ayame said there was some sort of underground train that runs to the tournament. She said she would show us once she and Gadget got here."

"Okay," said Hiro slowly, "Second question: why is she here?" Hiro jerked his thumb at the tall woman standing behind them. It was still chilly out, and her face was masked by a scarf, and her hair covered by a hat, but grey eyes glinted from under it's brim.

"Would you believe me if I told you she was a masked mystery warrior bent on helping us win the tournament?" Rieka said sheepishly.

"No, it's Scarlett. That's obviously Scarlett. You can even see her hair falling out under her hat."

Scarlett shrugged and said in a voice muffled by the scarf, "It's not like I was trying to hide, or anything, I just hate the cold."

"She's the only strong fighter I know who's not connected to my parents somehow," Rieka sniffed, "Did you have a better idea?"

Hiro eyed Scarlett suspiciously, "How did Rieka get you to agree not to rat on us? Aren't you still supposed to report to Koenma?"

Scarlett's eyes crinkled in a way that hinted she was smiling under her scarf, "Kurama's probation is over. Koenma sent him on a mission this week, so I was bored. My only other prerogative is training Rieka to use Sacred Energy. This seemed like a good enough way as any. Besides," Scarlett added in a more serious tone, "If I refused you likely would have gone anyway, and then who would be watching out for you?"

"Hiiiirooooo!" a voice called over the crowd. The group turned their heads and saw Ayame waving cheerily. Her other hand was clasped to one of Gadget's. Ayame and Gadget jogged a little to meet up with them, "I hope you weren't waiting too long."

Hiro's previously grumpy demeanor instantly vanished, "Not at all! We're ready to help any way we can!" Hiro examined Ayame's face and felt a sinking feeling go into him. She was looking at Scarlett with nervous eyes, and feeling something like dread.

Rieka must have picked up on her facial expression, as she explained, "You've met Scarlett. She's agreed to be our fifth...that's alright, isn't it?"

Ayame's bubbly smile returned, but to Hiro it felt cheap, false. Something about Scarlett was making her incredibly nervous, but it didn't show in her voice as she chimed, "With you, I'm sure we'll win. Now let's go to the train, 'kay?"

Ayame lead them through the crowds of people until they got to a door that looked like a utility closet. It looked rusty, and the handle was so grimy that Rieka wasn't sure she wanted to touch it.

"Hmm, a peripheral boundary," mused Scarlett.

"What's that?" asked Rieka.

"Look at all the other people," said Scarlett, pointing to the crowds around them, "They're all pointing away from the door."

"Sure," said Rieka, "They're waiting for their train. They're looking towards the tracks."

Scarlett shook her head, "No, it's more than that," she reached out and tapped on a man's shoulder, and though he stiffened, he would not turn around, "a peripheral boundary makes ordinary people want to look anywhere but at the thing it's concealing, making it perfect to hide something in plain sight. I bet you that door isn't even locked."

Ayame turned the handle, the door making a sharp grating noise as it opened, "It's not," Ayame said, "The underground train is down here."

The door revealed a set of stone steps that looked as if they were winding into the darkest pits of Hell. Gadget tightened her grip on Ayame's hand, "It's okay," Ayame reassured her. Ayame closed her eyes and exhaled, and as she did a barrier encompassed them "they may have lined the steps with traps, so stay close to me."

But Scarlett nudged past then and walked ahead, "If they were hoping to kill intruders, it would be more prudent to kill them once they've reached the bottom of the steps, and no one could hear them scream."

"A little cocky, isn't she?" Ayame murmured.

Hiro shrugged, "She's American, I'd just roll with it."

The most oppressing thing about the stairs was the dark they were plunged into after closing the door. They had to feel the wall around them and listen carefully to each other's steps and breathing as they made their way down. Scarlett had been right though, they hadn't sprung any traps. Yet when they reached the bottom the fluorescent lights were blinding after they had been plunged into the dark for so long.

A small toadlike man in a suit stood by another door, a heavy metal one like the door to a vault.

"Tickets?" He croaked.

"Hmm, now you," said Scarlett, gesturing a finger dangerously close to the man's face, "You would spring a trap to kill us if we didn't have tickets, right?"

The man gave no hint of emotion, but nevertheless he did not seem amused, "Tickets?" He repeated.

"Right here," said Ayame, pulling five slips of paper from her bag.

The man looked at them dully before saying, "Proceed."

The vault door slid open, and revealed something much grander than what Rieka had expected.

The floors were marble, and chandeliers hung from the ceiling, emitting a warm glow. A musician played a grand piano in the background while ladies in fine dresses and gentlemen in tuxedos strolled by. One thing was clear: who ever had organized this event had some serious cash.

While they were caught in the splendor of it all, the toad-man interrupted, "the train for contestants is on the left."

They stepped through the door and it immediately slammed behind them. They walked left and it became clear what sort of "contestants" they were up against. Yokai of every shape and size, of every color and breed, lurked around the train platform. They looked at the group hungrily.

"I smell humans," a big, ogre-like guy with too many eyes said in a deep, slow, voice, "It's been so long since I've eaten a human."

His companion, an imp who reached his hip and had an oversized nose sniffed the air, "Yeech, two of them are filthy half-breeds. But two are human, and—" he eyed Scarlett up and down, "I don't even know what you are."

"Can I eat one of the humans, huh? Just one." The big one said.

"Hmm, it seems we lack their respect," said Scarlett.

"Respect? We don't like humans and yokai working together. Those two with you go against nature. Filth like that shouldn't be allowed to live."

The crowd around them was murmuring and looking in their direction now. Like wolves waiting for a sign of weakness to leap upon their prey.

"This isn't good," Rieka muttered.

Hiro gritted his teeth, "Half-breed. We'll see how long they keep talking once the tournament starts."

"No need to wait for the tournament," Scarlett said. In a flash she hooked her knee around and hit the little guy square in the jaw, sending him flying. The big guy reacted slowly and lurched forward to grab her, but Scarlett moved like water. Her movements appeared effortless as she danced out of his way. When his head bobbed forward as he made another grab for her, Scarlett kicked a leg up and knocked him in the side of the cheek, causing him to lose his balance and fall forward. As he fell, his smaller friend began to stir from his daze, but only had time to scream in alarm as his oafish friend collapsed on top of him.

Scarlett's eyes narrowed on the rest of the crowd, "The one thing demons like them respect is strength. Who else has something to say to us?" She added in a loud, confident tone.

Whether the rest of the yokai would have attacked them or not Rieka couldn't say, as the train screeched into the station. They seemed more concerned with boarding the train than dealing with them.

"I'm not sure you didn't just paint a target on our backs," Hiro muttered as they filed into the car.

But Scarlett must not have heard him, because she hung back a bit.

"What is it?" Rieka asked as she paused in the doorway.

"Just thought I saw some red hair just now." Scarlett replied simply.