Episode 22: The First Lesson

Hiei snatched the file from Kurama's hands. His eyes scanned it frantically as he flipped through the pages.

"Now that I think about it, there is a certain resemblance, isn't there?" Kurama pondered.

"But how...how is that possible?"

"It wouldn't take much of her DNA, just some blood or hair...we never really did think about the cleanup from the Makai tournaments, so maybe from there. And Elder Toguro we just left in a cave, wrapped up like a Christmas present, so that wouldn't be too difficult, if you knew where to look. So the question isn't how, really, it's why?"

Hiei's jaw tensed as he weighed his decision in his head, "Mukuro would want to know about this."

Kurama frowned, "Don't tell me you're going to leave now."

Hiei tensed, "I'll say my goodbyes first."

***

The girls were finishing up at the hot spring when Rieka saw the tall blonde woman from before. The one who knew Kurama so intimately. She felt a strange twist in her gut when she saw her, and inhaled deeply. This strange woman was to become her teacher, she must learn more about her and become more comfortable with her. Rieka's newfound sense of inner calm was shattered when she saw Hiro being dragged mercilessly behind her.

"Oh, so this is the hot spring, huh?" Scarlett released Hiro, and blinked at Rieka and the other girls as if she had just noticed them, "Aw, I missed everything, huh? From what I understand, going to hot springs is a major bonding experience for women in Japan. Now I feel left out," her lips formed into a pout.

The girls, (with the exception of Gadget, who was too young to understand), looked aghast at Hiro. Ayame had barely finished putting on a bathrobe and was briskly tying an oversized one onto a struggling Gadget. Hiro averted his eyes and blushed, "It's not my fault! She dragged me here!"

Scarlett looked confused, "Oh, I guess this must be a girl's only side, huh?"

Botan reddened, "You guess?"

Scarlett shrugged, "I sensed another male presence here, so I thought this was a common area."

Rieka's blood ran cold, she knew it was more than just a peeping tom. But before Rieka could even focus her energies to find the presence Scarlett spoke of, that woman was already untying the sash of her coat. She had a look of glee on her face as she revealed two flintlock revolvers that looked like they would have been a better match for a museum than the hands of a woman in the 21st century.

She saw Rieka eyeing them and winked, "They're Colt 1848 Dragoons. .44 Caliber. Real deal. I'm sure they must be worth a lot now, but I must say I'm rather attached to them."

She twirled them expertly in her fingers as she stared at the water garden near the hot spring, "This is my first time using these since I was set free. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm a little excited. Rieka, ready for your first lesson in sacred energy use?" Her sunglasses slid off the bridge of her nose and landed on the ground, revealing two eyes as grey as the winter sky.

"I'd be more ready if I had pants on," said Rieka.

"Well, enemies don't care much about manners, but if it makes you more comfortable, you can just watch this time." A flash of energy ran through Scarlett's body, lighting her up like a match. It was then Rieka noticed Scarlett's eyes had changed from that muted grey color to a vibrant, jewel-like red.

I thought all sacred energy was a golden color, thought Rieka, but she's all red!

Scarlett aimed one of the pistols at the water garden and fired it. Something in the air wavered like she had dropped a stone into water, before shattering like a mirror. A small winged demon fell sputtering to the ground. Scarlett blinked at it, and nudged it with her foot, "I must be getting rusty. It was just a little spy demon, after all." She hunkered down by it, and poked it with the muzzle of her still smoking gun.