Episode 28: Meet Team Faustus

This wasn't supposed to be the type of tournament that kills people, Rieka thought as the crowd shuffled out after the short match they had just witnessed. Ice was in her veins. She knew her father had faced similar dangers at the Dark Tournament, but it has been surreal and distant, as stories tend to be. She wondered if he had been this shaken when he had first been confronted with the threat of death.

Hiro grabbed her hand, a gesture he hadn't made since childhood, and pinched the meaty area of her hand between her thumb and forefinger. It was an acupressure point meant to calm nerves. She took a deep breath—it helped, a little.

"Our first fight is going to be soon," Scarlett said, "How's everyone holding up?" She seemed as calm as ever—a true veteran.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Ayame said, in a voice that was surprisingly steely. Her front of cuteness had dissipated.

Rieka released Hiro's grip and flexed her left hand, "I'm as ready as I'll ever be," she said.

Hiro looked from Rieka's masked face to Scarlett's, "I have a request," he said, "The one with the claws...I want to fight him first."

Rieka jumped a little at this, "What, are you nuts?"

Hiro shook his head, "I have an idea of how to beat him, just trust me on this, okay?"

"Hiro..." Scarlett said, her voice cool, "If it looks like something is going to go awry, I'm stepping in. It's against the rules and it will disqualify us, but we'll live."

Ayame shook her head, "We can't get disqualified, my brother--"

"Will be happier knowing you got to live another day," interrupted Scarlett. Hiro opened his mouth to say something in reply, but the warning gong sounded.

"That's us," said Rieka, inhaling deeply, "I guess we'd better head out to the arena."

"Do we know anything about these guys?" asked Hiro.

"Team Faustus? Practically nothing," Scarlett replied, "So be careful."

Meanwhile, in the stands, Yusuke and Kuwabara called loudly to Kurama, who smiled serenely and waved at them as they took their seats behind them. Yusuke and Kuwabara's arms were laden with snacks and they were talking excitedly, it was a very different atmosphere from the Dark Tournament. Kurama could feel their confidence in winning the upcoming matches, and there wasn't the previous pressure that losing meant death.

"Hey, how was the last match?" Kuwabara asked Kurama at length.

"It was a slaughter," said Kurama, tenting his fingers and leaning forward in his seat, "I suspect that team used something to suppress their spiritual powers during check in."

"Why would they do that?" Yusuke asked.

"Some teams like the slaughter," said a voice from behind Yusuke.

Yusuke jerked in surprise, sending his carton of fried octopus balls flying, "What the hell, Hiei! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

Hiei smirked as he took his seat, "You shouldn't let your guard down so easily."

Kuwabara pointed a finger at Yusuke and laughed, "Heh-heh, you looked like you were about to piss yourself, Urameshi."

Yusuke scowled and tried to replace his lost snacks with Kuwabara's and a scramble ensued.

"Quiet," said Kurama coolly, causing them to freeze, "The match is about to start. I want to see this next team."

Yusuke pulled out his phone and scrolled through the electronic register, "The Kabuki Team, huh? That's weird."