Prompt #10

Prompt: How did Jace come out to Shane? Was he scared to tell him because of his issues?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I nervously made my way to Shane’s house. I went up the driveway and slowly let myself into the house, wondering if I would ever be able to do it again. Would Shane hate me for this? Would he be disgusted?

                “Jace?” Jasper said as I came up the stairs. He looked over with a smile, but that smile dropped and turned to fatherly concern. “Jace, what’s wrong? Did something happen?”

                I shook my head. “No. I, uh, I’m fine,” I mumbled.

                “Are you sure?” he asked in worry. Mitch peeked out from behind his dad. I hadn’t even realized he had been sitting there. He watched me curiously, concern starting to show in his pale blue eyes. Jasper put an arm around him and watched me nervously.

                I nodded. “Yea,” I said and hurried away from him, because what if he and Carol didn’t accept me either? They had been my family ever since my dad had left me. And Mitch…Mitch was only 12, but surely even he could be disgusted by me.

                I took a deep breath outside of Shane’s room before pushing the door and letting myself into the room. Shane looked up from his couch. He had been sitting and rapidly pressing buttons on a controller. He paused the game and frowned at me.

                “Jace, what’s wrong?” he asked.

                “I have to talk to you,” I said, not meeting his eyes.

                He stood up and came over to me. “Yea, sure, what’s wrong? Did someone hurt you?” he asked. “Does it have to do with…with your dad?”

                I winced and shook my head, suddenly terrified. If Shane left me, there was no way I could handle it. He was my best friend. He was like a brother to me. I couldn’t even imagine my life without Shane in it.

                “Hey, come on, just say what it is,” he said with an encouraging smile.

                I dropped my gaze and closed my eyes, squeezing them shut tightly. I clenched my fists, trying to stop trembling.

                “I’m gay,” I whispered.

                “What?” he asked in confusion.

                “I’m gay, Shane. I like boys. I…I’ve kissed a boy before. Please don’t hate me,” I begged. “I can’t help it. I swear I can’t help it.”

                I waited for him to tell me how disgusting I was. I waited for him to scream at me to get out of his house. To stay away from him and his family.

                But then I felt him punch my shoulder. I yelped and opened my eyes, rubbing shoulder and watching him anxiously.

                “You idiot,” he said impatiently. “Why would I hate you? Okay, big deal, you like guys. Please don’t hate me for liking girls.”

                “Why would I hate you for liking girls?” I asked in surprise.

                “For the same crazy reason you think I hate you for liking boys,” he said.

                “Shane…” I dropped my gaze to my feet. “Do you think it’s wrong?”

                “No. I think it’s wrong that you thought I’d judge you for it,” he said.

                I felt relief wash over me and jumped at him, hugging him. He laughed, stumbling back with me and hugging me.

                “You’re such a softy!” he said, but smiled at me. “You’ll always be my best friend, you idiot. And my parents will always love you as their son, and Mitch will always love you as a brother. That’s not changing just because you like boys.”

                “You’re the best,” I said.

                “I know,” he said smugly. But then the smile returned to his face and he playfully punched my arm. “You’re stuck with me as a best friend.”

                “I’m okay with that,” I said, beaming at him.