Prompt #27

Prompt: A Jace/Mitch family! 

A.N.- Yea, sorry the names suck, idk man I panicked 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “DAD!”

                The distressed cry made me sigh. I pushed myself out of my chair and went upstairs as more distressed screams for me came. I pushed open the bedroom door and stepped in.

                “Andy! Maddox!” I snapped.

                “Dad! He won’t get off!” Andy cried, trying to free himself of the older boy.

                I went over, yanking Maddox off of his brother. “Can you guys go five seconds without fighting?”

                Maddox looked up, the beanie he was wearing slipping off of his head a little. He reached up and fixed it, making a face at me.

                “Tell him to quit coming in my room, and I’ll quit fighting him,” he said.

                Mitch peeked into the room. “Jace, did you break it up?”

                “You’re useless,” I said, glaring at him. I pulled Andy to his feet. “Are you alright, Andy?”

                “You’re a jerk!” Andy yelled at his brother, and hid behind me when Maddox snarled at him.

                “Maddox, you’re not a dog,” I said.

                “I don’t know, I might call him a bitch,” Mitch said and snickered.

                “Oh, shut up dad,” Maddox said, throwing a pillow at Mitch.

                I rolled my eyes and pulled Andy put of the room. He looked up at me with sad, desperate eyes.

                “He always calls me a nerd and beats me up!” he said, upset. “I’m not as tough as him!”

                “Hey, guess what? Your dad was like that too,” I said, slinging an arm around his shoulders. “He was this big, tough guy. Got into fights all the time. But he was a total softy on the inside. When he was younger, he’d cry if he couldn’t find his mom. Your Uncle Shane was the same way. They act tough, but they’re total softies inside. Maddox is the same way. He’s a total daddy’s boy softie inside. He just acts tough.”

                Andy laughed a little. “Is he?”

                “He is,” I confirmed with a nod. “You’re not a nerd just because you’re not as tough as he thinks he is. Don’t let him get to you.”

                “Thanks dad,” Andy said, hugging me.

                “I love you,” I said, smiling and hugging him back.

                “Group hug,” Mitch said, putting his arms around both of us. “I’ll toughen you up, Andy. You can take your brother.”

                “You, quit fueling the fire,” I said, flicking Mitch in the head.

                “I would never,” Mitch said, kissing me. “I would hate to upset my husband.”

                “You’re all saps,” Maddox said, coming out of his room.

                “Come on, we’re having a sappy family hug while your dad talks about how much of a softie you are,” Mitch said, holding his arm out.

                Maddox rolled his eyes, but curled up against Mitch’s side anyways. I smiled at my family. Yea, we were a dysfunctional mess half of the time. But I loved my husband, and I loved my sons.

                “Hey, asshole,” I said, and all three of them looked at me.

                “Yes?” they all said.

                I rolled my eyes. “Old man asshole.”

                “That’s you, dad,” Maddox said, patting Mitch’s arm.

                “Yes, older man asshole?” Mitch asked.

                I grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer, kissing him. “I love you, and I love these little brats. Let’s go out for dinner.”

                “Works for me. Love you too, Jace,” he said, giving me his crooked smile, chipped tooth and all.

                I released his shirt and put my arms around our boys, smiling. I could never understand how my father could walk out on the person he’d married and his own child. I loved my family, and I would never give them up, not for anything.