Chaper 50 Blue Eyes

Mulai dari awal

He narrowed his eyes, Xiao Yan realized that Mark's remarks were definitely related to Heine's mission.

"Hey! What happened?"

Mark looked at Winn and Winn nodded. "It's nothing to tell him. He is a researcher. Maybe the samples, brought back by the Boss, will be handed to him."

"Well, you know that Jan Wallace's troops left the Shire to perform a mission. We have a very important transit platform that was occupied by the Surge Group. Colonel Wallace's task was to recapture this platform. Colonel Wallace ended up paying a high price for this mission. The Surge developed a drug that reacts with the x-virus, it entered a soldier through a bullet, affecting cellular respiration by causing oxygen deprivation and eventual death. The x-virus, that was our edge in the field, has become a knife turned back on us. Colonel Wallace's forces are stationed on the platform and Burton is tasked with bringing back the samples. "

Xiao Yan was taken aback. "So Colonel Burton is in danger?"

Winn exchanged a knowing smile with Mark. "There is nothing in this world that can kill Heine Burton, except the X virus in his body."

Xiao Yan lowered his eyes to ponder the situation when Mark jerked his head up. "Hey! What are you thinking?"

"I was thinking that perhaps the Surge wave organization was inspired by the virus 'Sharon' and developed this kind of biochemical weapon for the special forces--which used specific genetic markers in the virus to produce."

"What is that?"

"I used to wonder why zombies would attack humans but not their own kind. That's because the comet virus that infects them has a unique genetic marker that allows for host identification."

"I don't understand." Mark scratched his head. Conversely, Winn showed a look of great interest.

"For example both of you are Caucasian with blue eyes. Those traits are determined by your genes. I, being Asian, have different genes that cause dark eyes. Those differences are something we can use to distinguish each other. If Mark decides that an enemy is not of his race, then he will use blue eye color to make that determination. In a sense the comet virus does the same thing. Genes that are coded but the function is unknown. That segment was the 'blue eyes' of the comet virus."

Mark nodded blankly, understanding nothing but 'blue eyes'. Winn continued to look very intrigued and gestured for Xiao to continue his explanation.

"The x-virus increases the abilities of our special forces but a virus may have been introduced that targets a specific gene. Your x-virus increases your mitochondrial content and you need more oxygen available than someone without the virus. They may have found a segment that causes a disruption in the presence of oxygen in cells. Molecules along the cellular surface of your mitochondria transfer electrons and eventually react with oxygen. Without oxygen, the final reaction cannot occur and the entire chain is jammed and no ATP is generated. It is possible they targeted that portion of your x-virus. That segment being your x-virus's 'blue eyes'.

"So what you are saying is that the Surge has targeted a gene strand from the x-virus?"

"Exactly if you destroy that gene strand, you destroy its expression in the body, such as the oxygen concentration in your cells. Your body's abilities are rapidly increased, even if the oxygen concentration is kept at a normal level, it would not be sufficient for your bodies."

Winn suddenly looked at Xiao Yan, his eyes brimming with admiration.

Xiao felt his posture straighten as his head expanded with confidence. Ah, what a wonderful feeling to be admired by a special forces soldier.

Mark scratched his head and said, "Although I didn't understand it, I think Xiao Yan is particularly powerful."