But I couldn't.

I couldn't because the Loki I stood aside in Sengusial's castle wasn't the one whose eyes I stared into now. He had a fire in him. Behind that Jötunn exterior burned a soul hotter than the sun. It was inextinguishable, eternal; and I knew I brought that out in him.

I didn't fear his cowardice because there was none.

And I didn't fear what Sengusial was willing to do to him.

I feared what he was willing to do to himself.

"I know what you're thinking ~" I played off. "But really, I'm fine. Yesterday was hectic. And I'm sure it isn't too out of the ordinary that I'm a bit off. ~ You're worrying for nothing."

"I suppose." He mumbled suspiciously.

I smiled. "Besides, breakfast is finished. I um -decided to make your favorite: thin cut bacon and a fish roe spread. I figured I'd try to at least make it up to you. You know, as an apology for leaving you hanging last night."

He furrowed. "Leaving me hangi- Oh! Oh, god I had forgotten all about that."

"Oh?" I twisted my lips teasingly. "Glad you can just forget about that. I'll be sure to remember that next time."

He chuckled as he pulled me into him, staring down at me with soft and amused eyes. "Oh shut up. You know I don't mean that."

"Do I?" I snickered.

And for that moment the mood had shifted. He brought his lips to mine and all was right again. I didn't have fake the feelings I had with him. The realest truths lied in the moments spent between his lips and nothing made me feel more at peace than being held in his arms. For that split second, nothing else existed but us.

For that split second.

"Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock!"

Our kiss was swiftly broken by the sound of sharp knuckles beating against the kitchen wall.

We turned to find Steve, an annoyed and slightly disgusted grimace painted blatantly on his face as he stood impatiently at the threshold of the room.

"Can I talk to you?" He spoke sternly. "Only you."

"Uhm.." I stammered before glancing at Loki.

Loki stood with a stance like stone, an acid-spitting glare in his eyes that looked on at Steve with the utmost scrutiny. I could tell he was still angry about what happened, and I knew that the last thing he wanted to do was leave me alone with him. But I knew it probably be best for him to go. We needed peace in this house and if that meant compromising over our own distaste for the situation, then so be it.

I grabbed his wrist and squeezed it reassuringly. "Go."

"What? No."

"Loki."

"I'm not-"

"Go." I tugged gently at his arm. "I'll be okay."