Chapter Eleven: Confrontation

Jim woke to the smell of bacon and eggs. He hadn't even opened his eyes but he said "Holy shit, Bones. Are you actually cooking?"

        "Hell no. I got McDonald's." Bones said as he laughed.

        "I should've known." Jim said.

        He finally opened his eyes. He lay on the floor in front of Bones's couch. He must have fallen while he slept last night. He sat up and then used the coffee table as support to push himself up. 

        "You better get up and eat. You and Spock are expected to meet Pike today remember." Bones said.

        "You two have to go see Pike? What for?" Came Lily's voice from the bathroom. 

        "I don't know what for."

        "Do you think it's got anything to do with the five year mission?" Lily asked.

        "Hopefully it does."

        Bones threw Jim a sandwich and it came sailing through the air above Jim's head. Jim snatched it out of the air and unwrapped it. He took a bite and found out that it was a bacon egg and cheese sandwich. 

        Lily emerged from the bathroom. She had her hands above her head and she was in the middle of putting her hair into a bun. She obviously hadn't been back to her cabin yet to get her clothes. He could tell because she wore one of Bones's plain white shirts and black jogging shorts. She approached the table and snatched a sandwich out of Bones's hand as he lifted it to his mouth to take a bite. He glared at her and picked up a different sandwich. Lily laughed at him and kissed his cheek briefly in a friendly manner. 

        "What time do you have to get there?" Lily asked as she plopped down on the couch by Jim. 

        "Noon."

        "Uh.. Jim, it's eleven thirty." Lily said.

        Jim cursed under his breath and shot up and over to the door. 

        "I'll be back later!" He shouted through a mouthful of food as he ran out the door. 

        Lily shook her head in amusement. 

        "He'll be late to his own funeral." Bones scoffed. 

***********************************************************************************************************************

        Jim raced down the sidewalk to his cabin. He barley managed to unlock his door before he slammed right into it. He dashed to his closet and pulled out his regular grey Starfleet uniform. He stripped his clothes from last night off and quickly dressed in his uniform. He didn't bother with anything else and once again dashed out the door and began running for the main headquarters building. 

        Half way there he spotted Spock who was casually walking towards the entrance. Jim slowed down and began to walk in pace with Spock. 

        "So, do you think he wants to talk to us about the five year mission?" Jim asked casually.

        "I do not." Spock said with his usual stone cold voice. Sometimes it annoyed Jim how Spock never showed emotion in anything he did.

        "Spock, I'm telling you, this is why he called, I can feel it."

        "Your feelings aside, I consider it highly unlikely that we will be selected in the new program."

        Such and optimist aren't you, Mr. Spock? Jim thought.