Chapter Seven: Troubled Mind

She slowly pried her eyes open. She was laying on a bed in one of Starfleet's Headquarters cabins. She sat up to find that Bones and Jim sat on the small couch watching television. They were talking about the movie plot and laughing. 

        Lily loved seeing them like this. Watching them be happy and joking around like normal guys was something she enjoyed. She stretched and stood up. Her shoulder was still throbbing but not nearly as painfully as before. Jim noticed she was awake, got up, and walked over to her. He caught her off guard by hugging her tightly. 

        He pulled back and asked "How are you feeling?"

        "Like a champ. I didn't scream once or wake up!" She said enthusiastically.

        "Good, I'm glad you feel better. Now we have to get you dressed. We're going partying." He said.

        "Really?" She asked excitedly. 

        "Yes!" He answered.

    "What time is it? How long did I sleep?" She asked.

"It is eight o'clock and you sleep for about seven hours." Bones answered her question. He was still sitting on the couch. 

        "Wow, okay. Well, I'll have to go back to my cabin to get some decent clothes." She said.

        "Alright, I'll go with you. I've got to change also. Bones you get ready too. You're divorced and on the market." Jim said as he jokingly slapped Bones's shoulder. 

        Lily laughed as Bones rolled his eyes. "Sure. I'll try to make myself look presentable." He said. 

        Lily and Jim headed out towards her cabin. As she walked her shoulder slowly began to ache. It wasn't a horrible ache but it was enough to make her wince. Her's was the fifth cabin down from Bones's. Lily looked around as they walked. She had really missed this place. She had to admit that she did love being aboard the Enterprise but there was nothing like being back home. 

        All the cabins were built identical inside and outside. Each came furnished with one queen size bed which sat in the right corner, a black leather couch, a full kitchen, and a wall mounted flat screen television. And all of that was in one room. There were no extra interior wall separating the bedroom part from the living room part, the bathroom part, or the kitchen part. It was small but perfect all at the same time. 

        As they walked they passed Chekov and Sulu. The two were chatting about suitable restaurants to dine at around the area. Lily waved and smiled as they passed. Both Chekov and Sulu smiled and waved back. Lily turned to Jim to see why he hadn't waved. He was completely spaced out. He stared off ahead and walked at a slow pace. Lily waved her hand in front of his face and then started snapping her fingers. Finally he snapped out of it and asked "What?" when she laughed at him. 

        "What's so funny?" He asked again as he himself began to laugh.

        "You were just completely spaced out." She said looking up at him. 

        "Oh. Yea I've been doing that a lot lately." He said as he looked to the ground. 

        "That's not good. We can't have you being all spaced out and trying to lead a ship, captain." She joked. 

        He didn't answer. "What's on your mind?" Lily asked suddenly.

        Jim sighed. He couldn't hide anything from her. Half the time she knew things about him before he himself knew them. Sometimes he appreciated that about her, sometimes it annoyed him. 

        "It's nothing. I'm just anxious about the five year mission request." Jim lied. 

        "You shouldn't worry about it that much. We are literally one of the most talked about crews in all of Starfleet. I don't mean to sound conceded but we are the most eligible for this mission." Lily said reassuringly.

        "Yea." Was all Jim said. 

        Lily knew there was something else bothering him. She didn't know what but she was going to find out. Suddenly her most recent dream came into her head. He had told her he loved her. Maybe it was real, she thought. No. No way. If that's how Jim felt he would have told me. We've been best friends for so long. He knows he can tell me anything. She looked over to his face. Again he was spaced out.

         Then another thought hit her. Do I love Jim? This thought had honestly never occurred to her. She had always been to busy treating him like a brother to think that way. But now that she thought it she couldn't deny that he was handsome. Like drop dead gorgeous for a guy. She did love him, but she wasn't sure just yet in which way she loved him.

        As hey reached Lily's cabin she pushed the thought from her head and she swiped her key. She turned around and said "Go ahead to your cabin and get ready we'll meet here in ten minutes, yea?"

        He smiled. "Yea, that's good."

        She smiled and continued into her cabin. She instantly went to her closet. She started flipping through her clothing options. Normally she would pick a main color and go from there. That  always seemed to make things go faster. So she chose black. 

        She pulled out a flowing black and white striped shirt, black skinny jeans, and white sparkle flats. She had never been one to get all fancied up just because she was going out, so she didn't mind that what she had picked to wear wasn't necessarily club standard. 

        She quickly got dressed, being extra careful with her bandaged shoulder, and headed to her bathroom. She looked at her reflection and was surprised that the mirror didn't crack. She looked like she had been hit by a damn truck! It was amazing how you fell asleep expecting 'beauty' sleep but woke up and realized you got  ' you look like shit' sleep.

        She quickly set to work on fixing her face. She decided to go with smoky eyes and pale colored lipstick. She also straightened her hair. She noticed something sparkling directly beneath her eye. Startled, she reached her hand up and felt across her face. She sighed, relieved, as she felt her nose stud. She had almost forgotten about it. She quickly twisted and pulled her diamond stud out of her nose and replaced it with a black one.

       She walked over to her dresser and pulled a metallic black studded bracelet and matching earrings. She checked her hand to make sure her ring was there. She had worn it everyday since Jim had bought it for her. She slipped on her black fedora, grabbed her shoulder strap purse and headed for the door. Jim was already outside waiting for her. 

        He wore a plain grey t-shirt with a black leather jacket and dark denim jeans. He was extremely handsome even though he obviously wasn't out to impress anyone tonight. The fact that Lily had thought this starteled her. Is this how it's going to be now? Just constantly admiring how hot he is? She mentally asked herself. Jim smiled when he saw her. 

        She was stunning no matter what she wore, it was unfair. He wasn't complaining though because he loved it. 

        "Alright, off to fetch Bones." She said excitedly. 

        They made their way back towards Bones's cabin. Again they passed Chekov and Sulu who now seemed to arguing. They had been joined by Uhura. She seemed irritated. This time as they passed Uhura waved. Jim noticed first and waved back. Then Chekov, Sulu, and Lily all waved at each other. 

        Finally, they arrived back at Bones's cabin. Bones was already sitting out on his front steps. He wore a plain light blue V-neck shirt and jeans. Bones had never cared about his looks or about finding women in all the time Lily had known him. She had always just suspected that after his divorce he had just lost interest in dating. Plus, what he was wearing was probably the most stylish thing he owned.

        "Alright, so where are we going?" Bones asked Jim. 

        "It's this awesome little club called Malavita. It's a little Italian club and it's been there since like the year 2000 but it is the shit." Jim said. 

        "Okay so off to Malavita we go." Lily said.