The Clique

"You know... You could spend time with us." Danny smirks, knowing full well that I wouldn't be caught dead outside in the real world with him and my sister.

What would I do anyway? Watch them make out and feel each other up? Get to know my sister's boyfriend's family? No. I would rather die than be anywhere near heteros like them for longer than I need to.

"Or I could go to hell." I sigh and stick my hand in the bucket of popcorn that Amelia made only a few minutes ago.

"You'll be there soon enough if you don't change your ways!" Ellie shouts from the kitchen.

Danny's usual taupe brown skin flushes to a sickly pale brown at my mom's words. I don't see how he could still be surprised at what my Ellie says. He's been around her for nearly a year because he's dating Lauren.

"I know, Mommy!" I shout back and shove my hand back into the popcorn bucket.

Amelia shakes her head as Danny closes the door behind him and Lauren. They're going on another double date with Eve and Blake. Only difference is that Eve and Blake look like a normal couple in college. They're both wearing UVU sweatshirts (I assume Eve stole one from Blake), worn-out blue jeans, and cheap, off-brand shoes from the Walmart. They look normal.

On the other hand, Lauren and Danny look like they've just walked out of a television show on Disney Channel. They've both have managed to snag outfits that cover all the colors of the rainbow-- Danny in cool colors and Lauren in warm colors. They look like complete and total clowns. Sexy clowns, but clowns nonetheless.

I turn back to the television and try to tune in to what Massie Block is saying to Claire. This week Amelia and I are focusing on Children's Book Movie Adaptations. First up is the Clique film. When I picked out this film, I hadn't realized how nostalgic and sentimental it would make me feel. Amelia and I practically grew up reading these books. 

Every five seconds Amelia has to explain why the hell this movie even exists to Eleanor, whose only praise she can give it are that the outfits aren't THAT awful.

"Dinner is ready! Everybody into the dining room!" Ellie shouts at the top of her lungs.

My heart jumps out of my throat at the sudden disruption that her voice always is whenever we watch films. Amelia and I both stand from the couch, stretch for a few seconds, and then walk into the kitchen. I spot Ellie scooping vegetables onto a plate with some weird mush of weirdly-colored meat.

"I don't understand why you call it 'the dining room'. It's the kitchen with a table in it." She hands me my plate and sneers at my words.

"Sit down, Julie, and lose the attitude. I'm not dealing with your mouth today." She snarks, and I sit down in my seat, "I had a good day praying at the altar. One of the best I've had in a long time."

I look at Amelia across from me with raised eyebrows. She shakes her head with an uninterested look in her eyes. That makes sense. Ever since Adam's fight with Brady, she's been uninterested in nearly everything going on around her.

The last person to join our family at the table is Violet. It looks rather empty without the company of Eve and Lauren. I glimpse around at each individual family member before my gaze halts at Adam. The aftermath of the fight has left him with a big purple bruise on the left side of his face. Other than that, his injuries have healed.

"Good, now that we're all here, I believe your father and I have something to tell you," The bitter tone in my Mother's voice makes my ears perk up, "Based on Eve's acceptance to Columbia and her moving to New York after graduation, we have decided to..." Mom trails off, her voice fading off into a whisper.