Speech

As I walk through the door I feel my phone vibrate in my hand, it’s Becky. I take it out and answer it. “What could you possibly wait?”

“Its-” She says sounding like she’s crying.

“What’s wrong?” I ask.

“It’s dad.” As I hear her say that my phone drops from my hand. You’re thinking the worse, nothing bad happened to him. It’s probably something small, it’s not like he hasn’t been hurt before.

I bend down and pick up the phone and just sit on the floor, “What happened?”

“About a month ago he went missing in action, and this morning I got a call saying they found him.”

“And you are just telling me this now?”

“I just found out.”

“I didn’t even know he was missing in action.”

“I thought they would have called you first about that.”

“Check.”

“What?”

“See if it’s true, hack into the base or something.”

“That’s illegal.”

“Then you better do it fast.” I say and then hang up.

Everything around me is fading, I feel tears trying to spill over but I hold them back, losing someone is an everyday thing in the military, you know this Ashley. You just yelled at Becky about being weak with mom dying.

But why him?

I hear my fax machine print something in my room. I go and get it, it’s the file about my father, and it’s real. I turn over the page and see a picture, he was shot multiple times, I drop the paper, run to the bathroom, and vomit. I can’t hold back the tears any longer. I let them flow.

I hear someone walking in my house and I don’t have the strength to get up and do anything about it so I just try to quiet down my crying, it doesn’t work.

Someone walks into the bathroom I can’t even see who it is but they hug me. “Are you alright?” I hear him ask. I rub my eyes and it’s Ashton.

“Go away Ashton.”

“No,” he says helping me up and into the other room. I sit down on the couch and crunch my legs to my chest. He hands me a tissue, “What’s wrong.”

“Nothing.”

“It’s something, you can tell me.”

I stop crying and wipe away my tears with a tissue. “Why would I tell you?”

“Fine. I just came in here because you forgot your purse in the car.”

“And you couldn’t have just called and told me that? I would have gotten it tomorrow.”

“You’re pathetic, you know that?”

"You're an asshole."

"I'm serious you're pathetic."

“Excuse me?”

“I’m trying to help you and you can’t even open up to me.”

“I don’t open up to people.”

“Why’s that?”

“Ashton, please, just leave.”

He get’s up and does what I ask without a word and as soon as he leaves I burst into tears again. I feel my eyelids get heavy and then I fall asleep crying.