chapter 4

kenzie's p.o.v.

i awoke to warmth. and it wasn't just because of the fluffy blanket, it was something else. maybe.. love?

i couldn't stop myself from smiling. it felt good to smile, again. "good morning," i heard johnny whisper. and then, i realized the position i was in. my arms were tightened around him, and his arm was lightly around me.

i pulled away quickly. "why the hell are you touching me?" i shouted, trying not to hyperventilate. "you know, you snuggled into me last night. i just kind of let you, i was too tired to push you off!" he defended himself.

"why would you freaking let me?"

"i saw a softer version of you last night. twice, actually. well, three times. or was it four? yeah, you cried twice, i hugged you the third time, and you were very very 'soft' when you slept. oh, and-"

"yeah, okay, i get it! i've already lied to my parents about sleeping over at a boys house, it's saturday morning, and maddie's probably alone right now having to listen to their shouts. are you happy?" i cut him off, my heart racing a little too quickly.

————————————————

johnny's p.o.v.

"oh my gosh, relax! just go home, they already think you slept over at a girls place." i told mackenzie, and she looked at me furiously.

"are you stupid? i think you're stupid! there's so many questions to prepare for. 'what's her name?' 'have we met her?' and stuff like that! i need to think, first!" she replied, looking down at her shoes.

"you'll be fine. her name: lauren. and no, they've never met her, she's new. she lives two blocks away. don't worry about it, i'll tell lauren about this so she can talk to them if they come." i said, gently rubbing her back.

"they'll want the whole story. if she has a different one than mine, they'll know i was lying."

"my gosh, this is so easy. girls make everything harder than it already is. i'll tell you both a story about last night. this is how criminals deal with this stuff, you should know this. haven't you watched-"

"criminals point of view?" she cut me off, looking brighter.

"yes! i love that freaking movie!" i exclaimed, and my arm went around her. i didn't even notice, it just happened.

"me too! especially when christina tells jack her story and that she loves him and she'll go to jail if it's the only way to be with him!"

"okay, now you're making me hate it. anyway, your story. you and lauren worked on the project, and when you were done, you watched a movie and snacked on some chips. then, you texted maddie that you were sleeping over, put on face masks or whatever girls use, took showers, and went to sleep. bam."

"wow. that was surprisingly easy. thanks." she said, quieter than usual.

"you know, kenzie, you're smart. but, with drama and pain, you're really not. text me whenever you need something. like, an escape." i suggested, and she gently nodded. she didn't look like she was actually going to do it.