chapter 3

johnny's p.o.v.

i walked into class. "hey, you okay?" i asked mackenzie. "just because you were in my house, it doesn't give you a right to talk to me. shut the hell up." she answered, not looking at me. "well, you come to my place today- if you want. i live 2 blocks away, just a reminder. i can do the project alone if you want, just let me know." i informed her. she stayed quiet. i sighed. the teacher walked in, and class began.

———————————

kenzie's p.o.v.

i sat in my room with maddie, trying to drown out the sound of my parents arguing. i had tried everything. listening to music, thinking a lot. it didn't work. this was the loudest they ever argued. i needed to escape. then, i remembered the offer johnny gave me today, and i got up. that was so not me, but i had no other choice.

"where're you going?" maddie asked, looking up from her phone. "johnny's." i responded, looking in my closet. "oooh, don't be so mean to him this time!" she told me. "i can't promise."

i decided on a red striped tank top, some sweat pants, and a fluffy jacket. it was 10pm, not some party, and i wanted to be comfortable. i walked downstairs slowly, hoping for them not to hear me. "where do you think you're going?" my dad asked. "working on a school project with a friend." i answered, turning the door knob. it was hard not to cringe when i called him my friend. ugh.

i walked two blocks until i saw his house, and i went onto the front porch. i felt the need to look good, for some reason. i fixed my hair and then knocked. a pretty girl with long blonde hair answered. "hi, i'm lauren! you're mackenzie, right? what do you need?" she asked politely, opening the door for me.

"i'm here for your brother." i said quietly, my voice deep. "johnny, your girlfriends here for you!" she shouted, giggling. i looked at her angrily, and she bit her lip, frightened. johnny took a step in front of her. "oh, it's mackenzie. that would explain the scared look on your face. go back upstairs, lauren, i need to work on a project." he said, smiling at me.

i walked in and sat on the table, unfolding the poster and opening my macbook. he quickly caught up with me, sitting next to me and writing down some notes on the side.

——————————

"can you hand me the glue stick?" i asked, writing something down.

"where is it?"

"nevermind, i'll get it."

"no, it's fine-"

and then our hands connected. mine was on top of his. it took me a while to move it. ten whole seconds of silence, i suppose. i pulled it away, taking a deep breath. he took the glue and handed it to me, looking back at the macbook. he looked so unbothered with the whole situation.

"you know i'm not dumb, right?" he asked out of no where, looking away from his macbook and at me. "what?" i asked, confused. "i know you're not actually mad. you're sad. mad isn't really a first emotion, it's what causes it that matters." he said.

"still don't get it." i answered, playing dumb.

"for example, let's say your friend ignored you. yes, you'll be mad. but before that, you'll feel lonely or sad. so tell me, mackenzie, how do you feel?" he asked.