No Sign of Wake

Haruka's Point Of View

I walk with Mikoshiba to the infirmary in Samezuka. When I look out of the window, I notice a ambulance truck outside and the paramedics are lifting someone into it! I start running to the truck to find out what is going on!

When I get out there, I notice Makoto standing to the side. Is face looks like it is in pain. But, I ignore him for now and run to that same guy who took Mei away. "I thought you were going to keep her here?" The man sighs. The best equipment we have here is an x-ray. We took one and she has a lot of water in her lungs. We can't drain any of it out because we aren't certified to do so. We have to take her to a local hospital to get help. Also..." He looks away. "She has stopped breathing a few times now. Then, she throws up a handful of water each time she begins to breathe again."

My heart stops. Even though he got her breathing again, she still continues to stop? What good does that do?! That just makes me feel even more angry at what Rin done! Where did he go anyway?! He disappeared... But right now, I turn back to the paramedic and ask, "Can me and my friend come along?" He sighs. "Family comes first." I shake my head. "Her father gives no care for her. He isn't even in this country... So we are the best she has." The guy nods.

I quickly run over to Makoto and grab his arm. He just goes along with me into the truck. They have Mei hooked up to some machine. They are doing the same thing I have done. It looks like she is on some life-support system... It looks like she can't breathe on her own. It breaks my heart to know that...

I look over at Makoto. He looks very afraid and scared. He has no idea what is going on. I will explain everything once we get there. For now, my eyes are focused on Mei. Suddenly, I hear a sickening cough by Mei. Water comes out of her mouth. And quite an amount too. My heart drops.

When we get to the hospital, the guy asks me and Makoto to stand out into the waiting room. I guess I should explain to Makoto what happened and what is wrong with Mei. We sit in chairs side by side.

"Makoto... I'm sure you want to know what happened...." Makoto remains silent. His eyes are misty and gray. I just begin the story. "I was called by Sakamaki-chan. No words were herd but Rin's voice. He was talking about deserving to be there... And proving she does. I ran out my house as fast as I could. By the time I get there, Rin is laughing and I don't see Mei there anymore. I jumped into the water and found her into he deep end on the bottom. She wasn't moving at all. I helped her out of the water and tried CPR. She wasn't breathing... I tried for 15 minutes. Finally, she coughed water, but supposedly she stopped breathing again... If I wasn't there, she would have died for sure..." 

Makoto remains silent for a few minutes. I can't blame him... But after that, he asks a question. "So... is she going to die?" Honestly, I can't answer that. But I pat him on the shoulder. "Don't worry Makoto. I'm sure she will be fine." His eyes don't even light up. Not an ounce of courage is seen. "Haru... There are some things you don't know about Mei. Her father, her little brother, her past..."  My eyes widen. "What do you mean Makoto?"

He sighs. "I will tell you one thing, her father is abusive. He doesn't care for her at all. She has endured the pain for years after she moved to America. Tragedy struck and she was left in a pit of depression. She snuck out of her home and came back here. I'm glad she did.... But now, she might die... I don't want that..." Makoto must have kept that inside for some while. But there must be more to this story. But I don't want to pressure it right now.

A door opens and a young man exits the room. He looks like a doctor but, he looks so young. "Those for Miss Sakamaki?" Makoto and I stand up. We follow the man into the room. We see Mei lying in a bed hooked up to IVs and a machine that is helping her breathe. The man turns around and sighs. "The good news is, we got the water out of her lungs. It was enough to fill a bottle of water. But, she still can't breathe. It damaged her lungs a little. They will heal over time, but if the same thing happens again, she will die. That is a guarantee. But I have a question. Was this an accident or was it intentional?" Honestly, I don't know. Did Rin know she couldn't swim? Or did he know and just do that? If the second one is true, he should be expelled from Samezuka. But if he didn't know, he might get suspended and that's it....

I shake my head. "I have no idea. I wasn't there." He nods. "I understand.... I will have a talk with this man. I will call the school and have him come in for a explanation. For now, Miss Sakamaki will be unconscious for about a day. She will be confused but she will eventually start to talk again." I nod my head. Makoto and I sit in chairs and wait.

All I can do, is hope for the best. Mei... She is the one person who is so similar to me... I have so many questions. What is her fathers problem? Who is her little brother? When did Makoto and her meet? And... why did Rin do what he did?

__________________

A/N: Yeah so, I watched Free! Eternal Summer. It is epic! I love the ending song! Especially how Rin swayed his body like that! It truly killed me with love. It made me love him even more! (I know I said love a bunch just now... .+:。(*´v`*)゚.+:。) Also, the other new guy, with the light red hair, I think is Nitori's childhood friend. If anyone has any questions or just wants to chat about it, message me, here or on my tumblr, freeiwatobiswimm! Thanks for reading as well!  。゚(゚ノ∀`*゚)゚。