Chapter Fourteen--Just Believe

Storm's Pride stood calmly in his saddling area stall as his blinkers were put on, and then his saddle and everything else was put onto his back. 

Scott then walked to Important Fame's area and saddled him and put his blinkers on.  Then, the horses started being led around the paddock until the jockeys came out for riders up.

"Mike and Victor," Scott started.  "The four will possibly go to the front early.  Just, hold them back until you are ready for them to go."

Mike and Victor nodded their heads, and riders up was called.  Victor and Mike were given legs up, and the horses were led to the track. 

Once on the track, the track announcer started calling the field off.  Even with the rain happening, you could still hear the track announcer.

"Coming out onto the track, leading the full field of ten, is Promises Made at 50/1.  He's undefeated here at Pimlico, but faces a strong field.

"Number two is the 1/5 favorite, Storm's Pride.  He won the Derby last time out and looks to take the Preakness.

"Number three is Important Fame at 1/9.  He was third in the Derby last out.

"Number four is Classic Pioneer at odds of 30/1.  He'll be the lone speed today, unlike in the Derby where he finished 13th after being off the lead.

"Number five is Fame N Fortune.  He was on the bubble in twenty first with Derby points, but as he didn't draw in, he came here.  He's at 15/1.

"Number six is the maiden, Lone Ranger, at 50/1. 

"Number seven is the British invader, Brady.  Last out, he was sixth in the Santa Anita Derby.  He's at 10/1.

"Number eight is American Psycho.  After a sixth place in the Derby, he returns here at 5/2.

"Number nine is Bolt.  After a dissapointing finish in the UAE Derby, he comes here to the Preakness at 15/1.

"And finally, number ten is Multiplication.  He was 8th in the Derby, and returns here at 9/5.

"And that's the field for the Preakness."

The rain wasn't nearly as heavy as at the Derby, and the sealed track wasn't near as sloppy.  The horses walked towards the gates, some even jogging to warm up.  But finally, the walkover was finished and the horses started loading into the gates.

The thunder rolled as Storm's Pride loaded into the gates last of all.  Finally, the horses were calm, and the gates slammed open to the ring of the bell.

"And they're off in the Preakness Stakes!  And Classic Pioneer is out the best!  He'll go to the front early on.  And Bolt will be next.  He's followed by Storm's Pride and Important Fame.  Multiplication sits in fifth.  Then it's American Psycho in sixth.  Lone Ranger sits seventh, followed by Brady, Promises Made, and Fame N Fortune is last of them all as they thunder past the finish line for the first time, with Classic Pioneer to catch!  He's in front by three early on.

"Bolt is still second, but he's joined by Storm's Pride.  The Kentucky Derby winner is close up today.  Then Important Fame is fourth.  And American Psycho takes over fifth, leaving Multiplication a head back in sixth.  Brady has moved up closer now.  He's a length back from Multiplication.  Fame N Fortune has moved up, too.  Then it's Lone Ranger and Promises Made is last of them all as they head into the backstretch.

"Classic Pioneer, continues to lead the way.  He's in front by five early on.  And Storm's Pride is on the inside in second, a neck in front of Bolt.  And Important Fame is fourth.  But American Psycho is a quarter length behind him.  Then it's a gap of three quarters of a length to Brady, who takes over from Multiplication who is after him.  Promises Made makes a bold, early move to be next.  Fame N Fortune is next, and Lone Ranger is last of them all! 

"The group of ten horses is tightly compact here in the Preakness, except for Classic Pioneer who heads for the turn, eight lengths in front!  Storm's Pride starts to make a move now!  He shakes Bolt loose, and Important Fame is passing him.  Bolt is dropping back.  He is not going on!  American Psycho has moved up for fourth, as they turn for home!  Bolt is fifth, but here comes Brady!  And Brady takes over fifth!  Bolt is sixth, and here comes Promises Made!  He's starting to put it into gear!  Fame N Fortune is next, then Lone Ranger!

"And they're into the stretch!  And Storm's Pride takes over!  Important Fame is next as Classic Pioneer drops behind him!  Then it's American Psycho!  But he takes over third!  Classic Pioneer is fourth, but the others are not getting by him!  They are five behind!

"But Storm's Pride is all by himself!  He's in front by four lengths as they come to the wire!  Important Fame and American Psycho are in a battle!  But it's all Storm's Pride!  And Storm's Pride has won the Preakness!  He did it with ease by five!  Important Fame managed to get a head in front for second to American Psycho, and then Classic Pioneer was half a length back.  But Storm's Pride is onto a Triple Crown!"

Sara, Luis, Doug and Scott made way to get to the two colts.  Mike dismounted from Fame and took the tack off of his back and left to go weigh out as a groom led Fame back to the barn after taking his blinkers off and undoing the figure eight noseband from in front of the bit.

Storm's Pride was lead to the winners circle, where his blinkers were removed, and a blanket of black-eyed susans were draped over him.  Everyone got situated and finally, the picture was taken. 

Victor dismounted and took Pride's tack off his back and left to go weigh out.  Pride was led back to the barns where he got a bath along with Fame, who was in the middle of his.  Once they were both clean from mud, they were hand dried and put in their stalls, so not to get rained on at the hotwalker.

"So," Scott said.  "Fame won't go to the Belmont.  I want to rest him up.  But Pride will go to the Belmont for the try at the Triple Crown.  Out of the two, Pride should get the distance better.  I'm not sure when Fame will return, but he will be returning after the Belmont."

"So do you think Pride can do it?" Sara asked.  "There are horses coming out of the Peter Pan last week gunning for the Belmont.  And supposedly the filly Fleetwood is going there instead of the Acorn."

"I feel he will.  Let's just keep him healthy and everything, and then we'll let him show us himself how he's going to do.  But I believe that he can do it.  I know a lot of people don't believe in him, but they need to.  Just believe."

Sara nodded her head.  But hopefully the track would be dry so he could prove that he wasn't just a mudder. 

~•~

Later in the day, Sara was watching Youtube videos of horses from the past.  American Pharoah, California Chrome, Beholder, Songbird, Nyquist, Abel Tasman, Arrogate and Justify just to name a few. 

Each horse was spectacular in their own way.  Sara loved watching races from past horses.  It gave her more insight to the racing world.  It helped her understand more about how racehorses have improved since back then.

Luis was on the other bed in the hotel room they shared with his headphones in, listening to music while using his social media accounts.  It was currently 11:45 at night, and Sara knew that they would have to go to bed soon, as they had to catch a flight early that morning to New York with Doug, and Pride and Dream would leave the day after for Belmont Park. 

Sara had already put on a pair of light blue pajama pants and a dark blue tank top, and the lights were already out, except for the lamps beside the beds.  Sara got into bed and plugged her phone in on the charger and set an alarm for the next morning.

Three more weeks, and there would be a possible Triple Crown and Triple Tiara.

~•~

Happy Preakness day y'all!  I hope Justify can possibly pull it off today and give us another Triple Crown chance.  But if Good Magic wins, or even Quip, I'll still be ecstatic.  But good luck and safe trip to all in the Preakness!