Chapter Three--Showing Off His Pride

The day after Pride's win in his maiden, there was only thirteen days until the Frontrunner Stakes. There was questioning between the team if Pride was going to run in the race.

"Do we want this short of a turnaround right now," Doug asked. "Especially since Dynasty Maker is going to be there and we all know how good he is. Especially since he is also a full brother to Dynastic Future who is still running as a gelding."

"That's true," Scott said. "But if we really want him to prove his worth before even thinking he will be our best horse and getting us places, we should let him prove himself against the best. So I'm saying let's run him."

~•~

"Today is a big day at Santa Anita Park as we have the Frontrunner Stakes on this race card and there is a lot of buzz going on around the race. It is a showdown of the full brother to Dynastic Future, Dynasty Maker and an impressive maiden winner, a full brother to Chasing The Storm."

~•~

The races running before the Frontrunner had all went off and the runners for the Frontrunner were in the paddock. With a field of five, the field was small. And right next to Pride was Dynasty Maker.

Soon, as the horses were all tacked up and ready, they are led around the paddock area. Dynasty Maker was prancing around, showing of his pure black coat with no markings at all. Pride was walking around lazy like, but he would be a completely different horse once Victor was up on his back.

Soon, the jockeys came out to get their instructions from the trainers of the horse that they were to ride. Victor and Scott met up and Scott started giving Victor instructions for the race ahead.

Soon, the call for riders up was called, and the jockeys were all given legs up, and off the horses went to the track.

Once on the track, a dry track, the announcer started naming off the horses.

"Number one is the favorite, Dynasty Maker. Number two is Storm's Pride. Number three is Moonlit Chrome. Number four is Dreaming Higher. And number five is Virtual Factor."

The horses made their ways to the gates. Once there, everyone went in easily. Except for Dynasty Maker. He would not go inside, but that is how he is all the time. He finally went in and was throwing his head around. He was ready to run. And then, the gates flew open.

"And they're off in the Frontrunner! Dynasty Maker gets out beautifully and goes for the front. Virtual Factor is following right along behind him. In third it is Dreaming Higher and fourth is Storm's Pride. And at the back in last is Moonlit Chrome.

"The colts are now moving for the first turn with Dynasty Maker to catch. And he's got the lead by two to Virtual Factor who is trying to break his maiden in the Frontrunner. Dreaming Higher is loping along and Storm's Pride, the full brother to Chasing The Storm who could not make this race as a two year, is there in fourth and Moonlit Chrome is there in last, but he's moving up a bit."

Pride settled comfortably into the fourth position and seemed to not be bothered by the speed up front. He was galloping along smoothly and steadily. He looked like he would be able to win, but Dynasty Maker is a huge threat for him.

"And the horses move down the backstretch with Dynasty Maker to catch. He's got the lead by four lengths with Virtual Factor in hot pursuit of him. Dreaming Higher is not going on and is dropping back a spot as Moonlit Chrome has made a move for third, which makes Storm's Pride drop back to last.

"And they move for the turn. And Dynasty Maker goes on for home! He's got a six length lead to Moonlit Chrome who is second. Virtual Factor is dropping back. And here comes Storm's Pride! And he's charging up on the rail! He's passed Moonlit Chrome and he's closing the gap steadily and has got Dynasty Maker's lead down to three! And as they exit the turn, Dynasty Maker has a length lead!

"And they're into the stretch! And Dynasty Maker and Storm's Pride are neck and neck! It's a battle of two brothers to two champions! And it will be a battle to the wire as neither colt is letting the other by! Quarter mile from home! Dynasty Maker has lost his lead! Storm's Pride has it by a neck! And he's pulling away late! And Storm's Pride has won the FrontRunner by a half a length! Dynasty Maker was second and Moonlit Chrome was third. It was a long way back to Virtual Factor fourth and Dreaming Higher is last. Storm's Pride is showing off his pride as a colt who could be great!"

~•~

Later in the day, the team was talking about Pride's upcoming races for his campaign.

"I would like to keep him in California for now," Scott said. "Can't risk shipping him anywhere right now out of state.  So we should be glad that the Breeder's Cup is being held at Golden Gate Fields."

"So keep him in California throughout his Derby preps too," Doug asked and received a nod from Scott.  "So, what are our plans to get him to the Derby?"

"If all goes well I would like to do a few preps that lead up to a big one," Scott said.  "So, in January I would like to race him in the Sham.  February the Robert B. Lewis, March the San Felipe and April the Santa Anita Derby."

"So if he wins all the races how many points will he have," Sara asked. 

"Well he's already got ten from the Frontrunner," Scott said.  "The Juvenile gives twenty points, the Sham gives ten, the Robert B. Lewis gives ten, the San Felipe gives fifty and the Santa Anita Derby gives one hundred.  So if he wins everything he will have 200 points."

"So he'll have a lot of points," Luis said.

"Yep," Scott said.  "Probably more than anybody in the Derby field."