Chapter Twelve--Carrying On Legacy?

Finally, on Derby Day, the horses started their walkover from the receiving barn.  Scott was walking with Pride as Steven lead him.  Pride had his shadow roll on already, and the blinkers would be put on in the saddling area.   But there was pouring rain, and the track was becoming very sloppy.

As they were walking, one of the NBC announcers came over to Scott.

"Now with the trainer of Storm's Pride, Scott, this is your first Derby.  How does it feel to be here?"

"It actually feels great to be here, even though my horses are the longest shot on the board and the third choice."

"Do you think that Storm's Pride can carry on the legacy of his brother?  That seems to be the biggest question everybody has here for him in the Derby."

"Well, he's been training extremely well over the Churchill Downs track here, so I could see him carrying on his legacy, yes."

"Does the post position bother you any?  No horse has yet to win from post seventeen.  How does this affect his running?"

"It shouldn't.  He can pretty much run from any post, though he hasn't won since the Frontrunner, but I have good feelings about him from post seventeen, especially with the way he has been training."

"Now with Important Fame, the Florida Derby winner.  He's a son of a Derby winner.  How do you feel about him in the Derby?"

"I feel pretty good about him actually.  He's been training just as good as Pride, and his post shouldn't bother him."

"And finally, the track.  How do you think your horses will fair over it?"

"They've both ran over muddy tracks, so they should be fine.  Storm's Pride has actually ran though on a track very similar to this, maybe with a bit less rain, in his maiden victory.  So I feel fine with both of them on this track."

"Well, good luck to  you and your two colts."

"Thank you."

Then the NBC announcer walked towards another trainer, the trainer of the favorite, AlwaysADream.

Finally though, after walking for a bit, the horses made their ways into the stalls in the saddling area.  Scott got the small bay's blinkers put on, and then he got the saddle pad, navy blue and white number seventeen saddle towel and the brown leather saddle on. 

Scott then made his way to the tall gray that he also trained and put on his saddle pad, brown and white saddle towel, brown leather saddle and blinkers.  He currently already had on his figure eight noseband. 

Soon, jockeys came out.  Once jockeys up was called, Scott have Victor a leg up onto Pride, and Mike a leg up onto Important Fame.  The horses then were lead to the track, where they were handed off to lead ponies.

In the stands where other owners were, Sara, who had on a pink floral print dress with a pink jacket on, watched as Fame was handed off, and then as Pride was handed off.  She took a deep breath in and let it out slowly.  She wanted to see Pride win, but even if Fame could win, she would be happy.

The wait as the horses made their way to the gates was agonizingly slow.  The mud seemed to make the horses move slower towards the gates.  But soon, the horses moved into the gates.

Fame went in thirteenth, followed by Pride fourteenth.  The rest followed in suite.  Finally, it was post time.

Sara watched on as the bell rung, gates slammed open, and horses thundered out of the gates.  But the rain was so thick and heavy, that you couldn't see the horses hardly.