Chapter Five--Can The Little Horse Do It?

The day was finally upon the racing world.  The day of the Breeder's Cup Juvenile.  Pride was ready.  But the question going around was, can the little horse do it? 

The horses were in the paddock getting tacked up for the Juvenile as it was the first race on the Breeder's Cup day two card.  And Pride stood calmly as he was getting tacked up.

After riders up, the horses soon walked out onto the track.  The big, imposing Important Legacy towered over all colts in the field, and Storm's Pride looked smaller than ever as he jogged by him in the pre race warmup. 

His owners were worried.  What if he could not bring a win against Important Legacy?  It probably wouldn't be good for Heartland Stables.

Soon, Pride caught up to his lead pony and they both caught up with Pride's stablemate, Important Fame.  They then walked to the gates together. 

Soon, everyone was in the gates and ready to run.  And soon, the gates slammed open.

"And they're off in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile!  And Always A Dream comes out the best and goes out to lead the field.  And Dynasty Maker settles into second.  The favorite, Important Legacy, is next and Shadow Land is behind him.  My Regality is behind him, and fifth is Storm's Pride.  Important Fame, his stablemate, is behind him, and they are followed by Lookin At Love, Important Business, and Lightning Strikes."

Pride settled well into fifth.  He galloped along real nicely, as Victor was just sitting on him not  moving at all. 

As the horses galloped along, the field didn't change until the horses turned for home.

"And as they turn for home Important Legacy takes off!  And he starts to inch away.  Here comes Dynasty Maker and Important Fame!  Storm's Pride is up to forth as the others start to fade!  And Important Legacy has a five length lead!

"And they're into the stretch!  And Important Legacy is in front by three as Important Fame comes after him!  Dynasty Maker is back to third!  Storm's Pride is struggling to keep up in forth!  But as they come to the wire, Important Legacy holds on!  He won by a neck to Important Fame in second.  Then came Dynasty Maker, Storm's Pride, Lighting Strikes, Lookin At Love, Important Business, Shadow Land, My Regality and Always A Dream was last."

Heartland Stables walked down to collect their horses with a sigh.  Yes, Important Fame almost got there, but Storm's Pride was struggling.  Maybe it was the track or maybe he just wasn't feeling it for the race.  At least he still had other preps before the Derby.  But would he make it?

~•~

Later in the evening with the other Breeder's Cup races, Sara sat by Pride's stall on a chair and listened to the stretch run of the Classic that was being played on Luis's phone without headphones.

"And down the stretch they come in the Classic and Dynastic Future, this years Pegasus World Cup winner takes over and draws away!  Oh he has turned into a great horse as he is running away to the wire with everyone else battling for second!  Dynastic Future wins by six!"

"Great race," Luis said to Sara, hoping to spark a conversation.  But it didn't help.  All Sara did was get up and walk closer to Luis, bringing her chair with her and sat down beside his.

Luis opened his arms for a hug which Sara gladly accepted.  She was taking the loss hard.  She thought they finally had a horse to fill the void Storm left behind and save Heartland Stables. 

But by the looks of it, the horses they owned would have to be sold and their racing stables would have to close down.  But Sara hoped that it would not happen any time soon.