11| Field of Flowers

The next morning, the rabbit and I prepare to leave the cave. While the horned rabbit slept, I created a few more baskets (since the rabbit had destroyed the first one) with two new features to make carrying it easier.

I added two holes on each side of the baskets, large enough for my tail to fit through, as well as a grass lid attached to the top. The lid had a strap of grass that can be tightened to seal the basket. This way, my hands would be free while also allowing me to move without worrying about the contents falling out.

After sliding a basket onto my tail and adjusting the straps of its lid, I made my way to the front of the cave. A cold blast of air welcomed me as I exit. I still can't believe how drastic the shift in temperature is.

Back inside of the cave, horned rabbit was digging at the ground. It didn't look like the rabbit was making a burrow, the hole wasn't deep enough. Not to mention it just woke up. What is horned rabbit doing?

"Gao?"

I call for horned rabbit, but it just ignores me and continues digging. When it felt the hole is big enough, the rabbit pushed the ball into the hole and covers it up. After patting the earth to conceal whatever traces were left, the rabbit turns and hops to me.

I guess horned rabbit got attached to the ball and didn't want to lose it.

"Pefu"

Horned rabbit looks at me, its fur puffed up to shield it from the cold.

Alright, let's go.

"Gau"

We start off by exploring our immediate area. When we first found the cave, we didn't roam too far as it was approaching night time. Since it's decided that this will be our home, we needed a better grasp of what's around us. This would mean we needed some form of navigation to keep track of where everything is.

I decide to use the cave as the center, a reference to where everything is. South of the cave is the river me and horned rabbit traveled along the other day. We were lucky that the cave is so close to the river nearby. This allowed us to have easy access to fresh water.

To the west, not far from the cave, there was this massive tree that towered slightly above the rest of the forest. The tree was barren of any leaves, its trunk split roughly down the middle with charcoal coating the bark. The two sides bent in a large curve opposite of each other. Lightning must have struck this tree long ago.

It looks too unstable to climb, but it serves as a great landmark. This will make distant expeditions less risky as whenever we wanted to return to the cave, all I had to do was climb a tree in the forest and search for the charred tree.

The east and north of the cave are just a mass expanse of trees. There was nothing notable that we could use as a reference. If it weren't for the charred tree marking the cave, we would be liable to become lost if we explored in these directions.

The basket waves behind me as my tail swish from side to side. While we walk, we tore open a few bitter bushes and ate some fruits for breakfast. Occasionally, I would fill the basket with materials that had caught my attention. I wanted to create more things when I get back.

Horned rabbit follows closely behind as we travel. Its ears shifts on its head, alert for any threats. I also keep a lookout for other creatures, but the majority of my attention is focused on creating a mental map of the area.

Once we finish exploring the premise around the cave, we decide to travel further north using the charred tree as our starting point.

I was a bit hesitant about straying too far from the cave. What if a wild creature stumbled upon it and claimed it as its home? Then again, if it did so, I'm willing to fight it. The cave is perfect and I'm simply not going to let anything take it.