My flight was extremely early in the morning on August thirteenth. I planned on staying in a hotel after my eleven hour long flight and going to her house in the early morning. I spent the entire flight, or at least a good portion of it, contributing to my plan. I took a nap at some point, though. 

When we landed, I rushed to the baggage claim and grabbed my huge, heavy box along with my suitcase. I was constantly tapping my pocket where the ring was. Checking once, twice, eighty times to make sure it was still there. I was so tired that I almost drove straight to Aurora’s house. When I got to the hotel I called my mother and explained what was going on. She said that my dad had called and told her some of it. She was happy for me. I checked the large box. I set my alarm clock. I went to bed. 

My hands were shaking the entire way to Aurora’s house. My heart yearned for her and I was nervous and excited to see my love once again. I was worried about her response. I hoped my plan would work out. I continually checked myself in the mirror, making sure that my outfit was tidy, my hair was okay, my face wasn’t red or tired-looking, and my pants were straightened and clean. I knew Aurora would either be asleep or barely awake at this time. It was only eight in the morning. I hadn’t eaten because I wasn’t sure my stomach could handle it. One hand drove while the other fondled the ring box in my pocket. It was carved from cherry wood, with Celtic knots on the sides and our initials on the top. I parked a block down the road, far from where her window could see. I hefted the box to her porch and peeked in the window. She must’ve been in the living room. My heart skipped as I thought of her. I knew that this was the right decision. 

The box was simply cardboard, looking like something that went through the post. I even put sticker on it so she wouldn’t be suspicious. I wanted her to be truly surprised. I adjusted it so it was right in front of the door and then rang the doorbell. I quickly hid in the space between the door and window so she had no way of seeing me. I hear her footsteps pounding toward me and I hold my breath. She opens the door and I hear her let out a curious hum. She must’ve went and gotten scissors then. She didn’t even try pulling the box inside. I heard the box being ripped open. Her gasping. I smile to myself. 

*Aurora’s POV*

The doorbell rings and I sigh heavily. Who dares interrupt my cartoons? I run to the door and fling it open to see a large box right in front of me. “Hmmm….” I hummed to myself, wondering what this was, who it was from. I don’t remember ordering anything. I know I can’t lift it so I get scissors to open it here. I tear the lid open and can’t help but gasp.

Inside is a beautifully carved wooden chest with a rounded top and slightly rounded sides. I looked closer at the top and saw familiar scenes and symbols. Hands being held, a circus performer, a puppy, a kiss, a fort, a TV, and more. There were straps on the top also, keeping the chest shut. I tore down the sides of the cardboard box and undid the latch. I was slightly nervous to see what was inside it. The top section of the lid was inscribed with the words, “Reasons why I love you”. But what was in the chest made me lose my breath. My hand flew to my mouth. Inside was hundreds, maybe thousands, of pieces of paper, all with words on them. I picked a few up and read them. 

Your smile. 

Your laugh. 

The way your hair looks when you wake up.

Oh, my Eamon. I don’t know how he sent this, but he’s amazing. And right as I thought that, he showed up. He stepped into the doorway, the smile I love planted on his face. I leaped over the chest and jump-hugged him. I kissed his jaw, the only place I could reach. My heart was racing like crazy and I was afraid I was having heart palpitations. My Eamon was home. 

“Aurora?” he said, holding my waist as I slid down him, careful not to step on the chest. I felt tears well in my eyes. I missed Peter Pan so much.