CHAPTER EIGHT

Thank you for reading.
*********************

I finally had the boy I loved. My life was going to be perfect. Every day, all I will see will be rainbows and colors. That was the greatest lie I told myself but I didn’t know it was a lie that night he said he wanted me to be his girl.

I believed so much that everything was going to fall into place now.

See, the thing about love most times is that it can sometimes come with heartaches. Love is not always rosy. Love is not always about the happy ever after.

True love they say is more than just a feeling. Its commitment and dedication to one person that grows with time. Circumstances will always surface; circumstances that will test your love for each other; circumstances that will test your strength as a person. I learnt that.

I hadn’t seen Ben since we became a couple. I practiced how I would react we I saw him back in school. I would probably embrace him. No. I would wait for him to try to embrace me first. All these thoughts kept running through my head till I finally saw him. I was already in class and a lecture was on.

Ben walked in with Linda and they sat behind me. I felt a bit bothered that they came into the classroom together but a smile curled up to my face when I got a text message from him.

A text message that said
Sugar, you look very beautiful.
I blushed. I wanted badly to turn back and look at his face but I didn’t because I knew Linda was seated next to him. 

Things were a bit weird between Ben and me. Not weird in a bad way but weird in that shy new love way.

I laughed a lot and there were moments of silence. As the days went by, things began to settle. It was like we were getting used to the fact that we were now a couple.

We held hands when we walked at night, kissed each time we saw and hugged before we said goodbye.

Ben was sitting in front of the store with Linda. I acted cool. They came to classes each day together and were seen together all day. I was fine with it. Or I was pretending to be fine with it.

As I saw Linda there with Ben, I walked up to him and tried touching his face but he moved his face away like we had a problem. I was shocked. I stood for a few seconds looking at his face but he did not look at me neither did he smile.

I looked at Linda and she had an angry frown on her face. What was going on? I said nothing. Back in the hostel, I cried. Why did Ben treat me like that in front of Linda? What was it that I did? What did she tell him? I cried till I fell at sleep.

That night, he apologized for what had happened earlier. He blamed his reaction on him having a bad day.

I was with Ben when I got that call from Cindy. She had left school and I had told her to collect my ordered cake. It was supposed to be a surprise for Ben’s birthday the next day.

Cindy told me that the store where I made the order for Ben’s cake had a fire incident and had closed down. I didn’t know what to do and I didn’t want Ben to know about my surprise for him. I told Cindy to look for an emergency cake. It didn’t have to be fancy; just a cake. That was the only thing I could do.

‘I still love you. Cake or no cake.’ Ben said.

I was surprised.

‘You heard’

‘Yes I did’

‘You don’t have to stress yourself. It’s just a birthday. It’s no big deal’

But it was. It was a big deal to me. It was the first birthday he was having with me as his girlfriend. It had to be special. I had to make it special for him.

Luckily, Cindy was able to get another cake and it was beautiful.

It was Ben’s birthday. My day was very busy and I didn’t get the chance to see him during the day although I had already sent him a birthday text earlier that morning.

I couldn’t wait for the activities of that day to end so I could see him. As the day slowly turned to night, I got excited. I quickly showered, got dressed and even put on perfume.

Ben was nowhere to be found. I called his cell phone but he wasn’t answering. I called one of his roommates that I was friends with but he didn’t know where Ben was. I got frustrated and angry.

Then it hit me. He was with Linda. He had to be with Linda.

‘Is Ben there with you’ I had asked as Linda answered her phone.

‘Yes’ she said and handed the phone to Ben.

‘Where are you? I have been looking for you everywhere. It’s okay if you don’t want to see me. Just come take this cake off my hands. I am in front of my hostel.’

I asked the Lord for grace not to smash the cake into the ground before I gave it to him. I was that angry.

He was already standing in front of my hostel when I got there. He was wearing a navy blue hood sweater and he looked incredibly sexy and the moment I stood and looked at him for those few seconds, all the anger I felt melted away. I couldn’t stay mad at him and till date I can’t stay mad at Ben.

You know how superman has a weakness for Louis Lane and Spiderman has a weakness for Maryjane, I too have a weakness and my weakness is Ben. I gave him his cake and a bottle of wine. Then I gave him my present for him, a perfume and a t shirt.

I think I might have gone overboard with the presents. I could blame it on confusion and indecision. I didn’t know what he would like and I didn’t want to ask him because it would have ruined the surprise. So, I went with the two best options in my head; a bottle of perfume and a t shirt.

‘I am really sorry for today. It’s just been a busy day and don’t think I was with Linda all day, I went to the field and on my way back I saw her and we began strolling down together. I’m also sorry about my phone. It’s charging in my room’

‘It’s okay’ I told him.

I couldn’t believe I said that. With the anger I felt earlier, I believed I would slap him the moment I saw him but there I was sitting with him and holding his hand and telling him it was okay.

We didn’t kiss that night. We didn’t do anything sexual. We just talked. He told me a little about his family and issues they had in the past.

‘Most of these things that I just told you, I have never told Linda’ he said.

It made me feel special. I loved how he was himself with me. I loved how he didn’t feel the need to impress me. I loved how he knew I wouldn’t judge him. I loved that he was open with me and I loved that he confided in me.

‘Nobody has ever done this for me. I mean the birthday cake and all. It’s nice. Thank you. Plus they poured water on me today. That has never happened. You are good for me. With you, new things are coming. It’s going to be a good year.’ Ben said holding my hand and lightly squeezing it as he spoke.

It was a tradition of some sort in my campus to have your friends pour buckets of water on you on your birthday. Nobody liked the idea of being drenched because it was your birthday, so during your birthday you just had to avoid and hide from those you suspect would want to pour water on you.

Ben was right. It was going to be a good year. It was already a good year for me because I had what I wanted the most.

******************
I appreciate your time. Kindly consider leaving a vote or dropping a comment.