CHAPTER FIVE

Thanks guys for reading.
***********************

I was surprised when I got his text. His text said he was waiting for me outside and I should come out immediately. I was nervous. Should I go? I asked myself. I didn’t wait to hear any reply.

I wore a long flowing casual gown and walked outside. There he was, standing in front of my hostel. He was wearing a yellow jersey and he had a book in his hand which suggested he was from class; he probably went to study or something.

I walked up to him.

‘How are you?’ he asked.

‘I’m fine. How are you?’

‘I’m fine too’

We began talking about things I can’t really remember and then he said,
‘This is me chasing you’ he said it smiling.

I laughed. ‘Like this?’

‘Yes. Like this.’

I was happy that night. I hadn’t felt that happy in a long while.

I was studying in class when my phone rang. It was Ben. I was about picking up when I saw him from the class window.

I went outside the class to meet him. We talked and he told me he was also going to study.

Before I could say anything, Linda was coming our way. She walked past us and stopped, creating a very small distance between her and Ben and me.

For the first time, I wasn’t intimidated. I just smiled.

‘Your wife is waiting for you’ I teased Ben.

‘Are you the priest that joined us in holy matrimony?’ He asked me.

‘Linda. HI’ I said to her.

She stood not very far from us so she could hear me. I just had to raise my voice a little.

She didn’t say anything. She just nodded. She looked annoyed or bothered that I was speaking to Ben.

‘Just go. She looks angry.’ I told Ben.

‘I will see you later’ He said.

That night, he texted me again. I happily went outside. We sat on a slab. The night was cool and airy.

We sat close to each other and our bodies touched. He was not paying attention to me because he was on his phone. When I asked him what that was about, he said Linda was texting him.

Ben said Linda was asking to see him and he was telling her he couldn’t because he was with me.

I was upset. She was with him all day and she couldn’t just let me have him for a few minutes. Ben finally got off his phone and the rest of the night went peacefully.
I got a text from Linda the next morning.

I’m sorry for last night. I was only paying Ben back for what he did to me one day. I’m sorry if you were offended.

I replied her text with a simple no problem. I hated the drama that seemed to be unfolding. I didn’t want it to appear as though Linda and I were fighting over Ben even if deep in my heart I knew that was what was happening or what was about to happen.         
             ______________________
The semester exams just ended and everybody was catching a breath of fresh air.

There was a careless freedom in the air. Freedom from books and lectures and all that school stress.

Ben and I met inside an empty class. I had just made a new hair. He was actually the one that picked out the hair.

That day at the saloon, I was confused. I didn’t know which hairstyle to do. There were several hairs in the saloon and I didn’t have a particular one in mind. Ben entered the saloon and saw my dilemma. He then picked out a red hair.

I was skeptical because I hadn’t ever been crazy with my hair. But because Ben chose it, I decided to try it out.

As I walked out of the saloon with my new hair, compliments flowed in. Ben was in front of the cafeteria with Linda. I was going to walk passed them but he called me.

‘Oh my God. You look so pretty. The hair suits you. Come give me a hug.’ Ben exclaimed.

He asked for the hug. Who was I to say no? I entered into his arms and he hugged me. It was brief but it was nice.

I looked at Linda and she was smiling. I thought the smile looked forced but maybe I was just hating because of the unspoken rivalry between us. We tried to ignore and avoid it but it was there.

We were alone in the classroom and as I sat next to him, I suddenly got shy. I wore make up to go to him and he noticed it.

‘You look beautiful in your make up. Plus the hair. It’s lovely’

I loved it when he gave me compliments. It made me feel really good about myself.

We were talking when he brought his face close to mine and his lips to mine. He kissed me.

The kiss was awful. It was our first kiss but it was awful and I can’t really tell whose fault it was.

I was trying too hard to impress him with my kiss and he was doing the same and the kiss turned out awful.

And then we got caught. The soldier hailed ‘Stop that. Come here’

I was embarrassed. I just bowed my head while Ben stood up to answer the man. His lips were stained with my red lipstick and I wanted to tell him to clean his lips.

Ben and the soldier began laughing. I didn’t hear their conversation. I just heard their laughter. Ben came back and took my hand and we left the classroom.

When I told Joy that Ben kissed me, she was thrilled.

‘How was it? Give me all the details.’

‘It was good’ I lied. I had to lie.

Seeing how excited she was, I couldn’t tell her the kiss was terrible.

‘Wow. Ben was very fast.’ Joy said and we laughed.

Ben still argues till date that the classroom kiss was not our first kiss. I have tried to remember another kiss prior to the classroom kiss but I can’t.

*********************
Thank you guys for reading. Kindly consider leaving a vote or dropping a comment.