CHAPTER FOUR

Thank you guys for reading.
*************************

‘There is a girl in this school who has a very big crush on you’

My heart sank as Joy said those words to Ben.

We were in the classroom and Ben had come over to say hi to Joy and me. I saw the excitement on his face as he heard those words.

‘Who is the girl?’

‘Don’t worry. You would know very soon but I could describe her to you if you want’ Joy said between giggles.

What was she doing? I asked myself. I wanted to leave the class but decided against it because that reaction would be too obvious and could make Ben figure things out. I wasn’t willing to take that risk, so I stayed.

‘I’m listening’ Ben told Joy.

His excitement bothered me because it made it seem like if he ever found out that I was in love with him, he would just laugh.

‘She has brown eyes…’ Joy began describing.

‘Why do you want to know who has a crush on you? Why is it so important to you?’ I cut Joy short before she could give away all the hints that would make Ben figure out the truth.

I knew my questions sounded defensive, way too defensive for somebody that pretended not to be the one being talked about.

‘Why are you bothered? What’s your deal?’ Ben asked me.

I got irritated. Who the hell did he think he was?

‘Nothing.’ I said softly.

                 ____________________
Joy came into the hostel that night smiling. I knew that smile. That was the smile she smiled whenever she did something mischievous. I should know. She is my best friend.

‘What did you do?’ I asked while looking at her intently as if I could see through her and see the truth written somewhere inside her before she said anything.

‘Ben asked me about the girl that has a crush on him’.

I sat up straight. ‘What did you tell him?’

‘I gave him your initials. I told him the girl’s first and last names started with a C and an O’.

‘And you think he won’t be able to figure out that I’m the one?’

‘It will be better if he does. So all this madness will stop’

I knew Joy was trying to help. I was not angry at her efforts. Half of me was in fact grateful that she cared about me and wanted to see me happy but the other nagging half of me was skeptical.

That half screamed inside my head. What if this was a huge mistake? What if he already knows and doesn’t feel anything for me? What if he was back with Linda? I paused at that thought. Linda. I couldn’t compete with her. Not because she was prettier than I was or smarter or funnier but because she already had him and his attention. I couldn’t compete with that and I seriously wasn’t ready to try.

I shared a room with seven other girls and soon all seven of them found out about my feelings for Ben and they began calling him my candy crush.