Because he was near the clinic, Orion soon became close to Leo.

I would see them together, Leo talking adamantly to Orion's wolf as they sat on the porch. Some nights mom would join them, others it would be Uncle Mark, Aunt Quinn or even Lilah.

I would never admit to Orion the jealously that ate away inside when I witness the moments like these.

How was he able to make them like him so fast?

How had he been able to wiggle his way into the hearts of so many?

It confounded me because I was under the impression that Orion was an outcast, someone who had been push aside in his pack for never fitting in.

But here he was. The only conclusion I could create was that his parents had not been protecting their son. They had been blocking him away, misleading him to think he could not fit in when all along- he was destined to be with others.

"He's soothing."

I eye mom critically, watching as she sketched the back porch railing. I had braved the possibility of her seeing through me, and asked why she accepted Orion.

"Why do you like him?"

I groan at the question and lean back. I had become consumed with training. So consumed that it seemed like I was becoming nothing but an observer. Nothing but a shadow.

Mom patiently waits, a tuneless hum filling the silence as she continues drawing. I watch her.

"He calms me. He...he heals me."

"How so?"

I consider the question carefully.

"I don't think much of myself mom-," I hold out my hand, stopping her before she can speak, "I don't think much of me. I think in many ways, I'm not a good person. No..." I murmur the word, rephrasing the sentence, "I know I'm not a good person. But with Orion...with Orion, he looks at me and I see that he's good enough for the both of us."

"You are a good person Soraya," mom puts her drawing down, turning to focus on me, "why would you think anything else?"

"Good people don't cause others pain, ah..." I close my eyes, cutting mom off from my sight, "but I never wanted to be good. I just want to be acknowledged."

Mom exhales, taking a breath to steady herself, "are you going to challenge him?"

"Soon," I admit.

I wait for her to say more. From the corner of my eyes, I peek at mom and feel my hands curl as she clings to her chest, her hand gripping it to push back the pain.

I let my eyes close and smile.

She only confirmed my words.

Good people didn't cause others pain.

*   *   *

I lie on the bed, Orion curled next to me.

The bastard stayed in skin when he was with me. If I had known the key to getting him to shift and stay in his appearance of the wild male was through the temptation of desire, then I would have initiated it sooner.

A month later though, and it seemed Orion was completely used to kissing and touching.

What once caused him to blush, now had the opposite effect- sometimes my cheeks would be the ones to turn red at the things he did.