Forty-Six

Song: Indecente - Aniita
I find this song hilariously pairs with the next couple of paragraphs.

I wasn't sure if I said the words in my head or out loud.

And at the moment, it didn't matter.

As soon as my eyes fell on Julian as he entered the room, I felt my cheeks flush, my heart race and my breath hitch.

I did not allow myself to think of him in the time I was with Damien. Damien overtook my thoughts like he always did, I thought of nothing else other than wanting to be there for him, to help him as much as I could.

I stood by my decision the other day.

I chose Damien. I want Damien. I love Damien.

So why couldn't I stop staring at Julian?

Why couldn't I stop looking at him as he greeted the other lords and ladies in the room? As Naida approached him with a smile, as he grabbed a glass from one of the tables...

He radiated sex appeal, his coat casually unbuttoned just at the top to reveal some of the tattoo I'd seen once. His black hair was unkempt and shaggy. The stubble on his cheeks and chin was even growing back.

Damien pulled me close again as we danced. "I haven't seen the Keeper of the Gates in years, even before I was king."

I frowned as I turned back to the crowd and noticed who he was talking about.

Vyssen.

Vy was draped over Julian. One hand was on his elbow while her other arm was placed over his shoulders.

She was breathtaking. She laughed with the group at something that Axel said, throwing her head back, her cascade of black ringlets shimmering in the light of the room. Vy was Julian's equal in every way. She exuded confidence and sensuality in a way that made me envy everything about her- from the low plunging neckline of the black dress she wore that revealed more than I would ever be comfortable showing to the reassuring, loving hand she placed on the back of Julian's neck as the four of them spoke.

I turned away from them, hiding my sudden jealousy.

Why was I so jealous?

"Do you know her?" Damien's tone was curious. His violet eyes searched mine.

I shrugged. "You could say that. I met her once." I gave him a pointed look. "She doesn't like me."

He frowned but gave a quick smile to his lip. "I can't imagine anyone not liking you."

I laughed out loud, louder than I'd really meant to. "You say the funniest things sometimes. Have you forgotten Leah? You didn't meet half the kids from school, but it was there."

He shook his head and pulled me close, planting a small kiss on my forehead. "Everyone here loves you."

I didn't hide my snort, as unladylike or as unqueenlike as it was.

He smiled again as we turned, his eyes never leaving mine. As we did, I had a clearer view of Vy and Julian across the room. Vy was helping him with something in his hand while her other hand casually slipped inside the collar of his shirt.