Twelve

I was frozen in place staring at them.

I couldn't move as the eyes of the hounds watched me from what seemed like a football field away.

Someone suddenly grabbed my arm. I didn't look to see who it was. I ran with them as they grabbed my good hand and pulled me forward.

I looked around frantically, I couldn't see Naida anywhere. I hoped she was somewhere safe.

I looked at the thin hand that grabbed mine. A girl as young as I was with streaks of paint on her cheeks and forehead. She looked behind us and pulled me along as if to will me to go faster.

My arm pumped at my side, my breathing was ragged as I heard strong thundering behind me. Like something heavy was repeatedly hitting the floor. I looked behind us and saw the three hounds chasing us. The muscle rippled under their skin as they pushed forward.

They were too close.

Just one more pounce ...

I braced for it even as I ran. I could already feel their teeth digging into my muscle ...

A loud crack rang through the air followed by whining. Canine whining, I'd heard Woof whine enough to recognize it. I turned to see and slid to a stop, effective falling.

When I looked again the three dogs were writhing on the ground. A massive clear wall glistened before them in the artificial light. And the person that held a hand out before the wall, holding it in place was none other than Julian.

I recognized his back, the angles of his broad shoulders, the bulges of his arms as they extended on either side of him palms forward, holding the wall in place. Using his power, he held them still on the ground while other  faeries suddenly appeared next to him. The wall suddenly dropped and the men and women moved forward with w towards the unconscious trio.

"Take them to the cell," I could hear him say to them.  "I'll have words with the Lady of Tartus."

Some of the men grumbled in agreement and one by one the hounds disappeared from view.

I let out a big sigh of relief as they disappeared. Then Julian turned. His grey eyes held an intensity that made me hold my breath as he approached me. "Don't you dare think there won't be some sort of consequence to your actions."

I shook my head. "Where's Naida?"

"She was spectered home by some guards. Where you should be."

I could feel the guilt inside me. He'd told us not to go out. He told us specifically not to leave.

We didn't listen.

And it was stupid of us to leave. So stupid.

What did he expect? He'd locked me up - just about thrown away the key ...

"What?" I asked, lifting my chin even though I was still on the floor. "Are you going to ground me? Send me to my room?"

He scoffed. "I'm going to work your ass in training so hard you won't be able to move without thinking of me."

I could feel my cheeks flame, the heat rising even to my neck at his inflammatory words. "Good!" I yelled for some inexplicable reason. "Maybe now you'll stop babying me!"