Chapter 1

A/N: Take this as a preview to the story in a way.  Credits to whoever created it.

Just like that he pulled her to him, connecting their lips in a soft, but passionate kiss.  Playing along Elena knew that  she needed to not show any hesitation.  Soon she found herself giving into the kiss.  She never experienced anything like this, not with Damon or Stefan.  Soon enough, but not long enough, Elijah pulled away.

"So do you have it with you"

"Do I have what?"

"The cure."

"It's in a safe place" Elena said after shaking her head for a moment.

She placed her hand on his chest, he looked down noticing a daylight ring...wait.

"Why don't I go and get it, and then I'll bring it back." Elena told Elijah.

He reached out and grabbed her arm, yanking her back to him. "Where's Katherine, Elena?"

--

Elijah hanged up the phone after finishing his conversation with Stefan.

"Why?" Elena asked.

"Relax it is just to get Salvatore moving, you know I would never let anything happen to you, I owe you that much, but..." Elijah tried to explain, but Elena cut him off.

"No, why Katherine? Ugh. What happened to you, Elijah? I mean, I thought you were supposed to be a man of honor, and yet you've been hooking up with Katherine this entire time? "

"Well, I suppose this man of honor always shared a connection with Katherine." He paused to look Elena in her dark chocolate eyes, "She contacted me when she learned about the cure. We thought we could be of mutual use to one another."

"Of mutual use"? Please. You fell for her trap just like every other one of those idiots." Elena said, remembering Mason.

"You underestimate me, Elena. I know who she is. I know what she's done."

"And you think she's changed? She's playing you. She lied to you, Elijah."

" She didn't lie to me about your transformation.  You're not just a vampire, though, are you? There's something else. You...you're not yourself." He paused, when finally he connected the dots, "You've abandoned your emotions. Why?" He asked.

" My brother's dead. Your girlfriend killed him.  You didn't know?" Elena looked into his eyes, confused for a moment before sighing, "Of course you didn't."

"She lied."

"I hate to say I told you so, but...duh!"

"I know what it feels like to lose a brother. And I'm sorry for your pain. I...I only hope that you can find your way back to yourself someday."

"Just like you hope Katherine will find her  way back? You still think that innocent girl you saved from Klaus ages ago is in there somewhere?"

"I'd like to think so, yes."

"She's not. She's a monster now, Elijah. The sweet peasant girl you fell in love with way back when is dead. And she's not coming back."

"I'm not a fool, Elena. Of course this has occurred to me, but what kind of man would I be if I didn't try to find my Katerina beneath this...Katherine façade?"

"You boys are all the same. Damon and Stefan still think that the girl they love is still in here somewhere, too."

"You can't blame them for having hope, Elena. It'd be a shame if the world lost a soul as compassionate as yours."