5

I felt all the blood drain from my face and I'm pretty sure I looked just as pale as Xainier did. My mate's father is the man who ruined my life? No. There must be some mistake. I refused to believe it.

"I'm sorry, Eva." Poppy sighed. 

"Holy shit" I muttered, my eyes wide with horror.

Xainier sighed. "I won't let him hurt you Evangeline, I swear. Carlos probably won't let him anywhere near you anyway" 

I threw my head back against the pillow with a heavy sigh."You can mind link him right?" I asked the two of them. They both nodded. "Okay. You need to convince him to come back. I can't let him hurt his own father. No matter how scared I am of him" I explained.

Xainier gave me a tight smile. "I appreciate that Eva. That's very mature of you but he's probably half way there by now. Nothing I say will stop him"

"So we use Evangeline to our advantage. Mates will drop anything for their mate especially if they are in danger"  Poppy shrugged.

"You've got to be kidding? You're saying we put her in danger?!" Xainier looked at her like she was mad.

"No! Of course not. She's my sister doofas. We tell him that she's deteriorated or something"

I felt like that was extremely mean and also dangerous.  He was already mad. We were only going to anger him more. After pondering it for a moment,  I eventually gave a reluctant nod. It was the only way to stop him doing something he may regret later on. Less than five minutes after they sent out the message, Carlos came bounding into the room panting heavily.

"Eva!" He breathed out in relief when he saw me. "Thank the goddess you're okay!"

I instantly felt bad. He thought I was in danger and nothing had even happened. I reminded myself to slap Poppy for that idea later and myself for agreeing to it.

"She's okay Carlos but we couldn't let you go through with what you were planning" Xainier sighed.

"You made me think she was dying to stop me killing that bastard?!" He growled at her.

"He's my father too!" Xainier seemed to loose her cool now. "We've only ever known him to be a loving father and alpha. We at least owe him the chance to explain himself!"

Carlos looked taken aback. He sighed. "I'm sorry, I didn't think about that. I can't even look at him right now knowing what he did!"

I grabbed his hand and held it firmly, directing his attention towards me. "Carlos, it was a long time ago. He may have changed. No one really knows how to deal with the kind of situation he was put in. " I tried to convince him and myself.

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I just can't believe he did that to you. On behalf of my father, Eva, I am truly sorry"

I smiled. "You don't need to apologise"

He does, I thought to myself.

^^^^^^^

The rest of that day we sat talking and playing games. Carlos stayed with us for a while but had to leave eventually to do some pack work and Poppy told her mate, Max, to keep an eye on him since he was Carlos' beta.

Even though I was acting like I was okay, I couldn't get rid of the fear that settled in as soon as I discovered that I had stumbled right back into the same pack that made it very clear I was not welcome all those years ago. I looked to the door of the ward I was on. It was dark and quiet, the nurses and doctors had left for the night, leaving only a few to guard the ward in case anything happened and someone needed urgent attention.