3

I was awoken by a gentle and slightly annoying, consistent beeping. I opened my eyes slightly and noticed that it was dark and I was lay in a hospital bed. The beeping noise was coming from a medical machine. I also noticed I had an oxygen tube up my nose and an IV in my arm. I glanced around the room and saw a dark figure sat in a chair in the corner of the room. I screamed in freight and backed away the best I could in the bed. Shuffling was heard before a light was flicked on causing me to shield my eyes.

"Hey Evangeline. Calm down. You're safe. It's me, Carlos," he watched me cautiously as I took a few breaths to calm my racing heart.

He held my hand in his gently as if I would break from just the touch.  "You passed out for a long time, maybe five hours. The doctor fixed you up well and you are to stay in here for a week while you heal. Your condition was worse than we first thought. You have a lot of bruises and a few minor cuts along with your leg injury and you are malnourished" He frowned. 

I wasn't exactly sure how to respond to that. I knew the condition my body was in, so that didn't come as a surprise to me. 

"Thank you for helping me" I squeaked.  

He chuckled lightly. "It is more than alright. You're my mate. It's my job to take care of you" he smiled gently at me.

I offered him a small smile of my own. I realised how genuine he seemed. He was gentle and kind and not once in his presence had I felt anything but secure and safe. I didn't feel threatened by him but I didn't want to let my guard down yet. He may be my mate but I knew all too well not to trust quickly. I was a rouge, trusting people was not an easy task when you were so used to being attacked and always sleeping with one eye open. 

Carlos drew out a sigh and leaned back in his chair that he had pulled up to my bed side. "I want to know more about you. What is your favourite colour?" he asked, randomly.

"Blue" I smiled almost instantly. There was something about the colour that made me feel safe. Perhaps because blue was often associated with water and I really liked water. 

He grinned. I smiled lightly too. Something about his smile was infectious and I couldn't seem to keep a smile away from my own lips. 

"What is yours?" I asked, feeling myself slowly coming out of my shell. 

"Mine is green. I think it's from the forests and running through them in wolf form I just kind of fell in love with the colour" He smiled. 

I nodded. I couldn't help but feel slightly jealous of him having his wolf. I know it sounded silly but I had always longed to have a wolf especially since I would never have been thrown out of my pack. I looked down at my hands at the thought. I missed my family. 

Me and Carlos spoke for around an hour and I found out he played the guitar, he liked photography, his favourite food was steak, predictable saying that he was a wolf really, and much more. Somehow neither of us touched on family which made me wonder if he didn't want to talk about his family either.  We eventually stopped talking because I was beginning to dose off again.

***************************

"Carlos, please can I leave now?" I begged as he walked in with a tray of food. 

"Evangeline, you heard the doctor. Two more days. You can do that" He smiled.

"But I'm bored" I pouted. 

It had been five days since I was first admitted to the infirmary and it had been the most boring five days of my life.  Carlos would visit me in the mornings and at night time but during the day he would have to leave so he could do some pack work. So I got very bored.