23

naomi

it was the afternoon a few days later, i was left at home alone except for a few select security guys patrolling the house.

i smiled as i made myself a small lunch while recalling the past days with jack. every single day had been wonderful as his schedule was not busy until today.

my phone buzzing caused me to leave my temporary dream state and focus on my father trying to reach me. i knew nothing good would come out of him contacting me, but i picked up the phone with a half decent tone.

"and what do i owe this pleasure, father?" i was actually interested in what had him reaching out to the daughter he sent off to get married to a complete stranger.

"oh my dearest daughter,-"

"your only daughter." i quickly interjected.

"no need to be so short, sweetheart. i was only calling to ensure the delivery of the recording i sent you."

i immediately took the phone away from my ear as i received a text message from him.

"go ahead and listen to it, honey." he spoke with venom dripping from every word.

i pressed play and was met with the voice of jack, my husband, and what i believed to be johnson. they were discussing where to take jack's company from here, how jack will operate, and how they must never tell me he is still in charge.

once i had finished listening, i brought the phone back to my ear. "i sent you that as a warning and a reminder not to get too cuddled up in this puppy love you have happening." my father's emotionless voice halted me.

"of course not, father. but how do i know this is real? and how do i know this is not from a while ago?" i challenged.

"there is no need to ask those questions. i would never try to trick my darling daughter." he paused for a moment before continuing. "if i didn't know any better i would think you're taking the side of a man who was my enemy three months ago. your allegiance lies with me over any. remember that, naomi."

"you're the one who had me marry him, what am i supposed to do when i don't even have people to talk to regularly except him? it's not safe for me to go out and now it isn't right for me to be close with my husband?" i was pacing as i fumed at my father for what he was telling me. "the whole point of this is for you both to trust each other."

"recordings don't lie though, do they, naomi?" he questioned as jack closed the door. "i know your lover boy just got home. i can only imagine the questions you have for him." he laughed as i grew even more agitated.

"i'm not done speaking with you, father." i sighed as jack walked up to me, confused and concerned.

"remember your true allegiance, honey." and with that my father hung up.

"what was that about, naomi?" jack rushed up to my side with seemingly genuine concern painted on his features.

"do not ask me, jack. or else i will end up going off on your ass too." i gather the few things i brought down and was ready to walk away.

"baby, c'mon." jack sweetly smiled at me and lightly grabbed my arms to turn me toward him. "we need to talk things out as soon as possible or else they just get worse. and it's always just miscommunication anyway."

"gilinsky, do not give me that bullshit right now." i yanked my arms out of his grip. "this isn't miscommunication, i promise." i gave him a warning look and began walking to my room.

"you're calling me by my last name, you must really be upset." he threw his hands up in surrender. "we're going out to a club tonight in a few hours." jack called after me, which i didn't respond to or acknowledge and locked myself away in my room.