Life After // AU

A/N: yikes lmao, i'm here w another one-shot!! idk why, but i've been motivated to write more romanogers one-shots?? don't be surprised if i keep publishing more lolol. but enjoy ~ ree

[Любимая моя - my love (?)]

ps, 50k reads? i love you all so much :)

––

After the world mourned for Captain America, no one really seemed to move on. Though a wanted fugitive by the United Nations, the legacy, the honour, the bravery of the American hero would never die. They built statues, they built memorials. A park in Brooklyn was named Rogers Park, in commemoration of the late-Captain. How could anyone possibly imagine that the world's first and greatest Super Soldier was gone from this world? That he'd just...die?

Or so many thought.

The battle with Thanos changed their lives, more in particular, the Avengers' lives. They thought they couldn't make it. Even though that the one chance out of fourteen-million were slim and the stakes were high, the mighty team of heroes pulled through.

It's been many years later, and they've moved on. Tony Stark settled to have children with Pepper and is now raising a new generation of Iron Children. He was still the tech billionaire he was, a currently runs a very successful business company, alongside with his wife.

Thor went back to Asgard, saving what he could, from what'd happened, after Thanos' visit. He bumped into Jane after many years of not seeing one another, and the two keep in touch.

Bruce flew to Brazil. He started his own life there, just as a regular scientist. He met a fellow female scientist there too. All was well for him.

Clint had his family, and they were thankful to God that he was still alive after that battle. And it took some convincing, but, he finally retired and spends his leisure time golfing and water-skiing with his little mischiefs.

And Natasha?

Never in a million years could anyone imagine the Black Widow herself, living in an all-American suburb, in an all-American suburban house, surrounded by a white picket fence. And never in a million years did she imagine that she'd conceived not one, but three of her own.

Natasha had never known love until she had them. And when she had them, she never knew how much she loved the man who was there for her, every step of the way.

"They're still writing articles about me?" A familiar, bearded man crawled his arms around the red-head assassin's neck. Giving her a kiss on the top of her head, Natasha scrolled down the column she was reading on the Seattle Times.

Five years had passed and not a single day went by when she would encounter another Captain America tribute article online.

The woman chuckled, "Yeah," before standing up to give her husband a good morning kiss. "I guess the world still does care for you, Любимая моя."

The presumably dead Captain America, looking like the same he did during the battle with Thanos, chuckled, as he grabbed the dining chair next to his wife, sitting down to take a sip of his morning coffee.

"I feel honoured," He says proudly. Natasha snickers at his remark, which makes him smile.

"But people need to know that I'm done with all of...that." The smile on the former Captain fades, as his thoughts start to linger back to the horrors of the battle with Thanos.

Natasha stood up, this time it was her wrapping her arms around his neck. Sighing, she reminded him, "You're an American hero. Despite the fact that you became a fugitive, the people will never forget the story of the legendary Captain," Steve rolled his eyes as his wife reminded him that he was a national icon. People would always see Captain America, but they wouldn't know the person behind him.

"Well, Steve Rogers is not Captain America," Steve reprimanded his wife. She turned to him, a sly smirk crept on her face.

"Then who is he?" She asked, with a hint of tease in her voice.

Steve stood up from his seat, and facing his wife, he pulled her closer to him. Natasha laced her arms around the Super Soldier's neck, Steve's arms rested around her waist.

Absentmindedly, the husband and wife rocked back and forth, as if they were slow dancing, minus the music.

"He," Steve began. The former Avenger pulled his face closer to Natasha's. "Is," he continued while reaching over, hungry for the taste of the Widow's lips. "Yours."

And just before the couple could kiss, a loud cry erupted from the second level of their house.

Natasha groaned, while Steve chuckled.

"I'll get her," Steve offered. Natasha shook her head and chuckled a little, "No, she might be hungry," and she raced up the stairs to take care of their crying newborn infant.

The Captain settled back into the dining chair, sipping his coffee. He glanced at an old photo, an old photo of the former Avengers at one of Tony's parties from some years ago. Smiles all over their faces. So young, so much potential was left in them. A potential a certain space invader has taken away from them and changed them into different people.

Steve's blue eyes averted to another photo right beside the framed photograph. This time, it was a photo of his family. Natasha, James, Sarah and himself. It was taken the day Sarah and James, the Captain and Widow's twins, were born. And that was six years ago.

Side by side, the two framed photos of his old and new families would always remind him of what he was really worth.

Because Captain America was just a mantle.

And being blessed with the best wife and children helped him discover who he truly wanted to be.

Steve Rogers.

——

y'all idk what that was, it was so rushed. i'm so sorry. but, i hope to write some more one-shots in the future! - ree