sixteen.

Turns out, his risky plan was to legitimately go straight into the fire and hope for the best. Not his best plan. Not the best plan in general but you guessed it's better than having no plan. The plan would be and turn out better if your friends were here to help. Not so lucky this time. Before making our way to the house, Shikamaru heard that the family should be in the east wing of the house - villa? You two did you best to sneak past the adults without being seen. You two rushed over to the side of the house and made sure no one spotted you two.

Once you two knew that coast was clear, you two slipped in through one of the windows that was broken earlier. Once you two were in, you two noticed that the smoke wasn't thick in this area. Which meant that some parts of the home was still fine and standing. The others parts are clearly damaged by the fire. Hopefully, the family is in the part of the house that isn't damaged. You and Shikamaru rushed over to where the family could be hoping for the best. You watched him as he ran in front of you. You were actually keeping up but you were still scared.

You kept running with your head down. You weren't helping at all. You two snuck into a house that could fall at any time, trying to save a family within and you still couldn't get out of your head; you kept psyching yourself out.

"(y/n)!" You quickly picked up your head hearing how serious his tone was.

"We're on a mission now. You have to stay focus or else we are going to fail. I know you don't want to fail your first real mission."

"We don't have anyone to guide us."

"You have me." You didn't have a response at the moment. You two are only genins with no team or teacher. Anything could happen but for some reason, Shikamaru was still having faith in you. If he can have faith, you should try to have some too. You gave him an okay that your head was in a better place and just in time too. The smoke was starting to darken the deeper you two got into the house. Shikamaru started shouting for anyone to respond to him and so far, you weren't hearing anyone. Right after, you started yelling hoping to hear someone back. Nothing.

You two were starting to get scared that maybe your rescue mission was for naught.

"We have to keep looking. The adults said that the family should be somewhere in the East wing."

"What if they're not?"

"What?" He responded sternly.

"What if, they're not in the east wing? What if they're somewhere else in the house? We don't have time to search everywhere on our own."

"We have to try." You've never seen him this determined. It strangely inspired you. He made you wanted to keep looking and try harder too.

"Okay. We will. We'll keep looking." You two hurried to the west wing of the house now as you two had your faces covered with handkerchiefs. Hopefully, you two wouldn't inhale too much of the smoke. Shikamaru remained mindful of how often he would call out hoping that someone would return his calls. There continued to be no noise anywhere. Worse case, we'd have to go downstairs. You two ran towards the back of the home and saw someone unconscious. You two were surprised yet relieved to have found someone.

"It looks like he was trying to make his way out the house but passed out." Shikamaru looked in the direction of where the person could have been coming from. He sucked his teeth.

"Looks like the family is most likely downstairs. Take him outside."

"What about you?"

"I'm going downstairs to see if the family is there and hopefully alive. Make sure this person gets medical attention."

"Okay. I'll hurry back afterward."

"No, go out and tell the adults where I am so that I can get back up."

"Okay!" You quickly picked up what appeared to be a rather small boy. You put him on your back and watched as Shikamaru rushed downstairs into what looked like the family's cellar. Who knows what could be down there. That's why you have to hurry. Luckily, the door into the back of the house was right in front of you. You hurried outside and cried out for the adults. A handful quickly appeared and saw the boy on your back. They rushed to give the boy first-aid. You quickly explained to them that Shikamaru is inside and went downstairs into their cellar. About five adults went into the house and you watched as they disappeared downstairs too. 

You looked down at your hands and you were shaking. You did you best to take in deep breaths but you hands continued to shake - you still felt terrified. Now more so since Shikamaru and some of the adults are still in the house. You can only hope that everyone comes out safely.

Some moments have passed and you ended up sitting on the grass and started coughing a bit. It was then that you knew you needed to be checked for smoke inhalation; you and Shikamaru were in that house for too long considering the circumstances. You then noticed that more smoke was making its way to this side of the house. You started to worry more. You were about to get up to sprint into attention when you started coughing a lot more. That was when an adult came to your aid. They took you away from the scene and you could not help but keep looking back. You were still watching and waiting to see if someone was going to come out of that house.

No one.

No one was still coming out of that house!

You know what you were about to do was stupid but you braced yourself and did it anyway. You got out the grips of the adult that was trying to help and you quickly ran back towards the house. You made your way back inside and powered down the stairs. At the bottom of the steps, you saw Shikamaru and gasped. You started observing the scene and saw the rest of the family was passed out along with the adults who came earlier.

What happened to everyone?