six.

Your eyes opened slowly and you were still on Shikamaru's bed. You realized that you had fallen asleep and you felt a little silly about how quickly you fell asleep. As you slowly rose you upper up from the bed, you stretched your arms out a bit to wake yourself up. That was when you noticed that the door was closed and it was just you and, Shikamaru. He usually kept the door open so why was it closed this time.

"Hey. You're finally awake." You heard him say in a slightly seductive voice. You eyes shot over at him and you noticed that he was only in pants. Your face was no covered in nothing but red and you shot up from his bed. You looked around to see that now you were awake and it was a dream. A rather inappropriate dream to have your best friend, on his bed, in his room. You touched your face to find out that it felt kind of warm; you were blushing.

You looked over to see that, Shikamaru was actually working on his homework. You know he was going to be done by dinner. Your eyes shot to the door to see whether or not it was open or closed. It was open. You left out of sigh of relief. You adjusted yourself on the bed and stretched again. 

"I'll be right back." You said to him as you made your way into the bathroom and closing the door behind you. You turned on the faucet and splashed some cold water on your face to both wake yourself up and wash away that dirty dream. Then you started to question why you were having such a dream about him in the first place. It made you think of, Sakura's question from earlier today; if you two are going out. You two aren't but is it something that you have been thinking about subconsciously now and is now starting to get pushed into your conscious? Do you like, Shikamaru? Does, Shikamaru like you? What would any of that mean? What would it mean if the both of you started to date? You guys would have to hold hands romantically, not just as friends anymore!

The more you thought about all of the rushing ideas, you practically felt dizzy and shook your head to try to stop thinking about things for an entire moment. You breathed in deeply and slowly let out the negative breath. You looked yourself in the mirror and tried to find your center again. He is your best friend in the entire universe and you'd do anything for him and the same went for him; he'd do anything for you and has told you on more than one occasion. This is something you're still not sure about so for now, you're going to shelf it until you find more time to think about things.

You exited the bathroom and walked back to his room. You saw that he was leaning on his desk waiting for you.

"Dinner has been done for quite some time now. Hurry before it gets cold. Remember? My mom made your favorite because she invited you over."

"Oh yeah! I did forget! I can't wait!" You rushed out of his room and power walked over to the dining room where you saw the already set table. Your face was filled with nothing but excitement and glee; you couldn't wait to eat. 

"You're finally ready to eat, (y/n)? I heard you were in the bathroom for quite a while. Was starting to think that you got lost in there."

"I did not!" You responded to his dad. His parents know your parents. His parents have known you since you were in diapers. Hence why his dad always felt the need to poke fun at you. But it was all in good fun. You face lit up again when you saw his mom walk in carrying a plate full of food.

"(y/n)! Great to see you again. I was in the mood to make your favorite so of course, I had to invite you over. Wouldn't be the same without you. I'll be back with the rest but for now, you can dig in."

"Hmm!" You said with excitement. You were so excited that you didn't even notice when Shikamaru sat down next to you. He said his short prayer to give thanks for this food and started to dig into the first plate his mom laid out. It wasn't long until she laid out about 5 to 6 trays of food and you couldn't be happier.

Moments later, after you were done stuffing your face, you leaned back in your chair in pure satisfaction.

"How was everything, (y/n)?"

"Everything was amaziiiing." You squeezed out since your body was filled with nothing but happiness.

"I'm glad...would you mind if Shikamaru had dinner with you tomorrow night? His father and I are having a date night and won't be able to cook for him. We're also going to come home pretty late so he could sleep over too if that's possible."

"Sure thing." You didn't even think twice about it since he'd slept over your house so many times growing up. You remember all the sleepovers you two would have. It consisted of playing video games and eating some junk food after dinner. It was always great and memorable.

"Hey! Don't I have a say in this?" Shikamaru rebutted. 

"Not really." Replied his parents in unison. They smiled at each other. You smiled as you watched in admiration of their lasting love. You weren't sure how long they've been together but you could imagine that it's been long enough for them to be comfortable with themselves but also still love each other so much. It kind of reminded you of how you'd look at Shikamaru sometimes. You knew you were admiring him as a friend but maybe there was a little bit more there that you were starting to realizing. If liking Shikamaru was going to be anything like how his parents were then maybe it wouldn't be all bad.

Moments later, you finally stood up from your chair after everyone was done with their food.

"I'll pick up the plates and put them in the sink."

"None sense!" Cried his father. "You are our guest!" Chimed in his mother.

"Please don't worry about the plates. It's getting late. Shikamaru will walk you home. We'll see you soon!" His mother said with a smile. His father flashed a smile too knowing he'd see you soon too.

"Thank you again so much for making dinner! It was delicious. Have fun on your date too!" You added in as you rushed back to Shikamaru's room to grab your backpack and rushed towards the main door.

"Have a good night!" You shouted to his parents in a gleeful voice.

"Have a good night!" They both said at the same time and cheerfully.

You left the house with Shikamaru behind you. He closed and locked the door and started walking alongside you with his hands in his pockets as usual. Your hands were holding onto the straps of your backpack as you couldn't stop smiling due to the great feast you just had.

"(y/n)..."

"Yeah, Shikamaru?"

"I like you."