Chapter 5: awkward feeling

Everyone in that classroom suddenly stopped talking and looked at Lyndsee, standing in the doorway. There was an awkward, dead, silence as lyndsee stood there wanting to disappear. Fabi looked at everyone in confusion. What was the deal? Lyndsee shifted uncomfortably.

" I... um... have a pass." Lyndsee stuttered. The teacher smiled.

"That's alright. You must be Lyndsee."

"Yes I am?" she frowned.

Lyndsee didn't like how this woman already acted like she knew her. She felt like the whole school knew, but she doubted it. It was all between her, Adam, and Mr. Johnson.

There was another awful silence which made it even worse. The teacher could see it.

"Alright then! I'm going to start assigning seats."

As Ms. Jay started to give seats, Fabi was left wondering about Lyndsee.

So that's Lyndsee. She thought.

She wanted to get to know this girl. She looked unusual, which made her even more curious. She looked like she hadn't slept in days. Fabi felt bad for her. Her thoughts were interrupted by Ms. Jay calling her name.

"Fabiola Sanchez. You'll be sitting next to Sam and on the other side of Fabi is Lyndsee."

Fabi actually heard some people sigh in relief.

How rude. She thought to herself. Lyndsee kept her head down as she made herself to Fabi's table. The teacher continued.

"...And on the opposite of lyndsee, is Isaac."

Isaac protested. "Hey I... uh... can't do this. I mean I rather sit alone."

"Well I'm the teacher and that is where you are sitting." The teacher shot back. As a very angry Isaac sat next to Lyndsee, Fabi shot him an angry look.

Lyndsee's face grew hot. She hated this already. She knew this was a bad idea. She looked down at her feet again. She told Mr. Johnson she never wanted to go to school. She never asked to be here. This was definitely the reaction, she did in fact, expect from people.

__________________

The bell rung and Lyndsee waited until everybody left. She grabbed the schedule from her backpack and looked at it. She frowned and approached Ms. Jay.

"Um, can you tell me where this is?" She said quietly, pointing at the paper.

"Yes, that would be upstairs."

Lyndsee nodded and started to walk away when Ms. Jay stopped her.

"I know you're going through a difficult time, Lyndsee, and if there's anything you need, just ask me. You can talk to me whenever."

"Wait how do you know that?" Lyndsee stiffened.

"What do you mean?"

"A difficult time? What makes you think that?"

Ms. Jay sighed. "The principal, he gave all your teacher a brief understanding of the situation. We're only trying to make you feel comfortable..."

"No." She cut her off. "I'm perfectly fine. You don't need to do that."

With that she walked away. She remembered what Mr. Johnson had said.

First impressions do count.

Those words echoed through her mind. How was she supposed to make an impression if these people wouldn't let her? A difficult time. No. All she wanted was to make an impression, but all the teacher thought of her was the girl going through a "difficult" time.

Lyndsee clutched her books in her shaking arms. She saw a group of girls, standing by the lockers, eyeing her, making it obvious that they were talking about her. Lyndsee ignored them and kept walking faster. When she got passed them, she could hear the tall blonde talk.

"I saw her go in with a parole officer. Are you kidding? What a freak." She had said jokingly.

Lyndsee could hear the laughter, echoing, as she walked away.