Chapter 5: A Message From Satan

Chapter 5: A Message from Satan

        Ariel stood in front of the controversial message, debating whether she should act like nothing ever happened, (as she did with most dramatic events in her life that, in her opinion, needn't involve her in the first place) or to let someone know. As she argued with herself on the topic of what or what not to do, Aurora burst through the library doors; she was looking for Ariel. She saw her across the hall, and it didn't take long for her to notice what she was looking at. Ariel took quite some time to notice Aurora standing next to her, until she began to speak.

"So who do you think-"

Due to Ariel being easily startled, she screamed in the middle of Aurora's sentence. Her blood-curdling scream caused several students and staff members, including the librarian, to flock to the scene, as well as calling Aurora to almost fall over in a sort-or mirrored shock.

        No one asked why Ariel screamed; they simply assumed that it was caused by the shocking message on the wall. In fact, some of the teachers even said they were surprised she didn't faint. Aurora decided not to inform them of the situation. The adults began questioning a ton of students, including Meg, Aladdin, and another girl whom had fairly thick, wavy black hair, thick-ish eyebrows, caramel skin, and fierce green eyes that looked as if she had seen more than any man or woman could bear. Her name was apparently Esmeralda, as Ariel had discovered when someone was trying to get her attention from across the room. She wore a loosely-fitting white blouse, a green scarf, and a pair of deep purple skinny jeans. She was approached by Meg, which caused her to smile as the two shared a hug. Whilst the two apparent friends proceeded to talk about their summer and what they'd been up to, Ariel could hear whispers and under-breath conversations about just who the culprit might be.

"I just know it was Esmeralda. She's always doing stupid stuff like this," a female voice uttered, somewhere amongst the clustered groups.

"No," another voice interjected, "she can be pretty careless, but she's not an idiot." People continued to debate on the topic of whom was or wasn't responsible for the message, when suddenly, Ariel heard a familiar voice coming from behind her. 

"I personally think it's that bitch, Ariel. I have a feeling she's up to no good." It was Belle, fortunately speaking in an utterly sarcastic tone of voice. Ariel smiled at her, and playfully responded:

"Yeah, she acts all cute and innocent, but I heard she got caught like 3 times shoplifting toothbrushes." Belle laughed at Ariel's awkward remark, thinking it was undeniably adorable, but all Ariel could think was: Wow, she probably thinks I'm mentally challenged or something. 

        After all the suspected students were questioned, and the witnesses, Ariel and Aurora, were asked if they saw anything suspicious before seeing the phrase on the wall, everyone headed back to their rooms, except Aurora and Ariel, who held their put-off meeting in the janitor's closet, as planned.

"So what's the deal anyways," Ariel immediately stated upon entering the closet, "How long have you guys been doing this?" 

"About a month or two maybe. It started over the summer." Aurora looked around the closet, trying to avoid making eye contact."

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!"

"Jesus, okay...mom."

"What happened?"

"I don't know!" Ariel gave her a look that said: Tell me the truth, you lying little shit, which pushed Aurora to tell the whole story: 

"I was sitting at home, watching TV., and someone knocked on my door. It was Meg. She was covered in water, since it was pouring rain outside,” she laughed a little and continued telling the story, "she looked around, and I guess she noticed my parents weren't home, so she grabbed me and…kissed me, which led to...other stuff," her eyes wandered off from Ariel yet again, wearing a sheepish expression. Ariel put her hand on Aurora's shoulder.

"So, I'm guessing you've had enough of being in the closet. What are you gonna do, you know, now that Jasmine and Meg are broken up?"

"I don't know...I'm so confused. Maybe I should wait."

"It's kind of to late for that, don't you think?" Aurora gave Ariel her signature look, but eventually agreed that it was indeed too late for her to be respectful on Meg and Jasmine's once lively relationship.

"You're right. I should go for it...or continue it...Either way, I want to be with her." Aurora opened the door, and ran down the hallway toward Meg's dorm. Ariel smiled and headed to library. She ended up checking out a few fantasy books and then headed back to her room. She saw Belle who had her hair neatly curled. She was half dressed, trying to unstick a zipper on the back of a fitted yellow strapless dress. Belle turned around, exhausted, and noticed Ariel.

"Thank god! Could you help me?" Ariel proceeded to tug at the zipper and eventually managed to get it to budge.

"Isn't that dress a little too fancy for..." Ariel pulled out her phone from her pocket and checked the time, "4:30 pm?" Belle giggled and turned toward Ariel again. She looked positively stunning. She was wearing a light amount of makeup, though she didn't really need any in the first place. Her eyes were coated in a soft pink color, as were her lips. The rest of her face was bare, and looked flawless as usual.

"I have a speech today. I had to right a paper on how I came to know God, and we're supposed to dress up," Belle said, checking her makeup.

     "Oh, and what did you write in it?" With these simple words, a grim look began to cover Belle's glowing face. She began to read the essay it was three pages, and consisted of stories of her mother and father always showing her God's love, which confused Ariel.

     "What's wrong? That doesn’t seem so bad." As Aurora did in the closet earlier, Belle avoided making eye contact.

"That isn't my real story." She sighed, and sat down on the bottom bunk, under Aurora's bed. "When I was three years old, I was abused by my dad." Ariel, trying to be sympathetic, sat down next to Belle and put her arm around her. 

"I tried to tell my mom, but she didn't believe me. She thought 'Daddy hit me!' really meant 'I did something wrong so Daddy rightfully disciplined me.' He didn't stop until I was seven when my mom opened the door on him hitting me. They got a divorce, and even though i was glad I wasn't going to be hit anymore, I was worried. After all that, I didn't really believe in God anymore, until one day, I met this boy. His name was Adam. He was my best friend, and the first person I came out to." Belle managed to let out a small smile.

 "When I was ten years old, I remember we were on the swing set. I asked him if he would still be my friend if I liked girls too. I remember him nodding and making me feel like someone cared about me." Belle looked down at her hands, her smile fading. "But...you see why I couldn't share that story, right?"

        "Yeah, they whole gay thing-Wait, 'too'?"

"Yeah, I'm bi. Anyways, that and I don't really like to talk about being abused. It's embarrassing."

        "Really? I thought it was pretty brave."

Belle smiled and kissed Ariel on the cheek, leaving a light pink mark on her. As Belle headed out the door to give her speech, Ariel looked in the mirror at the lipstick mark, feeling oddly proud of it. She let out a huge sigh of joy, and couldn't help but think: Things are getting better day by day in this netherworld of homophobia.