Six+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song-------------}

Six+

My bare feet ache as they step on more jagged rocks. This whole place, wherever I am, is covered in them. I wince and hiss as I walk deeper into the area that I have no memory of coming to. Looking around I see the place is made up of mostly black lava like rocks where steam randomly pours out yet the sky is gray and the atmosphere damp. Luckily as I walk deeper into the darkness the ground smooth’s out a bit making me sigh in relief.

“You look much like me, little one.”

My head snaps up to see a man standing before me. He is dressed in a black toga like outfit that hangs over one shoulder with a red stoned broach on his left shoulder. His hair is black, slicked back against the shape of his skull to show his sharp aristocratic features. It’s his eyes though that are the most striking. Black orbs showing no white at all with a circle of red around the place the iris of his eyes would be as he peers at me. A small pleased smile graces his face.

“Who are you?”

“Someone who hasn’t had the pleasure of speaking to you in a long time.”

I scowl, “Are you trying to be vague?”

He chuckles, “Perhaps.”

“Well I don’t like it.”

“Straight shooter, hm? Your like your mother in that way then.”

I stiffen, “What do you know of my mother?”

“Many things.”

“You’re being vague again.” I snap.

He smiles pleasantly, “I know.”

“Who. Are. You?”

“Tell me, Child, how much pain are you in when you cut off you wings?”

My jaw falls open, “How—“

“Your hiding the gift you were born with, Child. This vampire despite his intentions now will always seek this power as his own.”

“You can’t—“

He put up a hand cutting me off. He begins walking towards me making me realize how tall he really is compared to me. His skin is pale like mine but with a faint glimmer of gold making him seem like he glows with…something. His large hand, tipped with black on the fingertips, raises and caresses my face from forehead to jaw.

“You have such faith in a man you claim not to care for, Child. Do you think he cares for you the same?”

I don’t answer, not sure what to say.

“Ah well.” The man sighs, “Lets see how much he’ll fight for you, shall we?”

His fingernails suddenly sharpen into claws before they dig into my shoulder making me shriek in pain. Everything burns yet the blood in my veins seems to freeze. The man twists the fingers in my shoulder making me scream louder as blood pours from my shoulder like a river.

“Let this be a warning to him.”

The man gives me a sick little smile before fading into the shadows.

My body is being shaken as someone keeps calling my name. I snap open my eyes and scramble away from whomever it is landing on the floor with a painful thud. I back myself into a corner panting and covered in sweat. I go to get some sweaty tendrils off my face so I can see why I feel a sharp pain in my shoulder.