Three+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

 Song------------}

Three+

“Lila!”

My head snaps up at the sound of my name to see Edie slamming down the house phone on the receiver. Since I refuse to carry a cell phone since it just shorts out on me after I feed, I just don’t even bother with the contraption. Instead she keeps it here in case of emergency and I leave notes when I do decide to leave. This time though I can see she was extremely worried though I don’t get why. It’s not like I can’t protect myself.

Edie runs towards me and pulls me into a hug. I tense as her hands land on my back but she doesn’t seem to notice in her rush to see if I’m okay. She pulls back and studies me a minute, checking for any injury I realize, before pulling me back towards her.

“I was worried.” She breathes.

I chuckle a little, “ I noticed.”

“Where were you?”

I sigh and shrug, “I needed some time to…release.”

“The factory?”

“Yeah.”

She lets out an unsteady breath, “Well I’m glad your okay.”

“What do you think is going to happen to me, Edie? I’m practically a walking weapon.” I remind her with an eye roll.

“I’m allowed to worry about you, Lila, you’re my sister.”

“Not according to her.” I mumble.

“Lila,” Edie sighs, “She doesn’t understand and I don’t think she ever will no matter how much I try.”

“She’s not crazy.”

Edie kneads her forehead with her fingers, “I know that but she can’t get out of the asylum without someone to take her in and I’m not doing that to you. She’s my mom and I love her but she should love you the same no matter what abilities or extras you were born with, Lila. You and Nola will always come first.”

“Fuck, Nola.” I groan, “Is she okay?”

“Yeah. Mom scared her a bit but Nola’s smart she knows your not a bad person. In fact she seemed more worried about where you went then anything else.”

“What did you tell her?”

Edie smiles a little, “Told you went to your special place to think. So she decided to go think in her special place.”

“And where is that?”

“Under her bed.”

“Aren’t most kids her age supposed to be scared of the place under their bed?”

“Not our girl,” Edie grins, “She knows there’s nothing Auntie Lala can’t get rid of.”

I smirk, “Smart girl must get that from her father.”

Edie bats at my shoulder playfully before sighing as she sits on the couch. Her long blonde hair is braided over her shoulder and she’s now dressed in pink sweatpants and a plain white t-shirt. She still looks great but then again she did inherit our mom’s effortless beauty.

“He called by he way.” She states with a smile.

 I settle into the chair across from her and sit cross-legged in the chair balancing my head in my palm on the armrest. “Jeremy? How’s he doing?”