[20] : FINAL MOMENTS

Start from the beginning

Aberforth took a large gulp of his whiskey, slamming his cup down onto the table, causing Hermione to flinch. "Listen here, little girl. You're kidding yourself thinking the good is gonna triumph. You-Know-Who has taken over everything. We've all lost. Go home."

Aubrey shook her head, crossing her arms over her chest, standing back with Hermione and Ron. She was so angry she could explode; but she thought it'd be best to just walk away from the situation.

Harry, on the other hand, remained at his spot. "We need to get into Hogwarts. Tonight. Dumbledore gave us a job to do," Harry declared.

"Did he now?" Aberforth condescendingly said. "Nice job. Easy?"

"We've been hunting Horcruxes," Harry stated. "We think the last ones are inside the castle, but we'll need your help getting in."

"That's not a job my brother's given you," Aberforth protested, "it's a suicide mission! Do yourself a favor boy. Go home. Live a little longer," the man advised, taking another sip of his whiskey.

Harry remained unfazed. His determination still shining through his exterior. "Dumbledore trusted me to see this through."

"What makes you think you can trust him? What makes you think you can believe anything my brother told you?" The man prompted. "In all the time you knew him, did he ever mention my name? Did he ever mention her's?" Aberforth gestured to the framed, painted portrait of a young girl.

"Why would he?" Harry dared to question.

"Keep secrets? You tell me," Aberforth shrugged carelessly.

"I trusted him," the wizard vowed.

"That's a boy's answer!" Aberforth shouted. "A boy who goes chasing Horcruxes on the word of a man who wouldn't even tell him where to start! You're lying! Not just to me, that doesn't matter. To yourself as well. That's what a fool does. You don't strike me as a fool Harry Potter. So, I'll ask again. There must be a reason," the man demanded.

"I'm not interested in what happened between you and your brother. I don't care that you've given up. I trusted the man I knew," Harry attested. "We need to get into the castle tonight," he restated.

Aberforth went silent, before nodding his head at once. He turned to the portrait, giving it a light nod. "You know what to do." The girl in the picture gave him a small smile, before turning away, walking into the distance before disappearing beyond the horizon.

Harry frowned, as did the others. "Where have you sent her?"

"You'll see soon enough," Aberforth waved off.

"That's your sister, Ariana isn't it?" Hermione asked, looking over at the empty painting. "She died very young, didn't she?"

Aberforth nodded in sorrow. "My brother sacrificed many things, Mr. Potter...On his journey to find power, including Ariana. And she was devoted to him. He gave her everything...but time."

Hermione had turned to Harry, who stood in the center of the room. "He did save our lives twice. Kept an eye on us in the mirror. That doesn't seem like someone who's given up."

Harry remained silent. "Hermione, the man has given up. He checked in on us, because he wants us to live. The two don't correlate," Aubrey reasoned, only making Hermione shake her head.